User Interface Development Life Cycle for Business-Driven Enterprise Applications
This work presents how business process models are described in terms of task models to solve traceability issues for large systems. The proposed approach presents a method with activities specifically selected for the scenario of develo-ping user interfaces (UIs) for enterprise applications founded on extensive business processes. Furthermore, some of these activities are detailed to make the work on UIs aligned with business processes. With the use of the tool proposed in this research, it is then possible to identify the UI components that are impacted whenever changes are made on business processes.
Our special thanks to the company for allowing us to share information of our joint project. We gratefully acknowledge the support of the program Alβan, the European Union Program of High Level Scholarships for Latin America, under scholarship number E06D103843BR.
- 1.Aversano, L., Bodhuin, T., and Tortorella, M. Assessment and impact analysis for aligning business processes and software systems. In Proc. of ACM Symposium on Applied Computing SAC’2005. ACM Press, New York, 2005, pp. 1338–1343.Google Scholar
- 3.Jones, S. Enterprise SOA Adoption Strategies. C4Media, Toronto, ON, 2006.Google Scholar
- 4.Kristiansen, R., and Traetteberg, H. Model-based user interface design in the context of workflow models. In Proc. of TAMODIA’2007. Springer, Berlin, 2007, pp. 227–239.Google Scholar
- 5.Limbourg, Q., Vanderdonckt, J. UsiXML: A User Interface Description Language Sup-Porting Multiple Levels of Independence. In: Matera, M., Comai, S. (eds.): Engineering Advanced Web Applications. Rinton Press, Paramus, 2004, pp. 325–338.Google Scholar
- 6.Mori, G., Paterno, F., and Santoro, C. Design and Development of Multidevice User Interfaces Through Multiple Logical Descriptions. IEEE Trans. Softw. Eng., August 2004, pp. 507–520.Google Scholar
- 7.OMG, Business Process Modeling Notation Specification, 1.0, February, 2006.Google Scholar
- 8.Pontico, F., Farenc, C., and Winckler, M. Model-Based Support for Specifying eService eGovernment Applications. In Proc. of TAMODIA’2006. Springer, Berlin, 2006, pp. 43–50.Google Scholar
- 9.Rummler, A., Grammel, B., and Pohl, C. Improving Traceability in Model-Driven Development of Business Applications. ECMDA Traceability Workshop (Haifa, Israel), 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Sousa, K., Mendonça, H., Vanderdonckt, J., Towards Method Engineering of Model-Driven UI Development. In Proc. of Tamodia’2007. Springer, Berlin, 2007, pp. 112–125.Google Scholar
- 11.Sousa, K., Mendonça, H., Vanderdonckt, J., Rogier, E., and Vandermeulen, J. User Interface Derivation from Business Processes: A Model-Driven Approach for Organizational Engineering. In Proc. of 23rd ACM SAC’2008, ACM Press, New York, 2008, pp. 553–560.Google Scholar
- 12.Stolze, M., Riand, P., Wallace, M., and Heath, T. Agile Development of Workflow Applications with Interpreted Task Models. TAMODIA 2007, Springer, Berlin, 2007, pp. 2–14.Google Scholar
- 13.Sukaviriya, N., Kumaran, S., Nandi, P., and Heath, T. Integrate Model-driven UI with Business Transformations: Shifting Focus of Model-driven UI. In Proc. of MDDAUI05, CEUR Workshop Series, Vol. 159, 2005.Google Scholar
- 14.Sukaviriya, N., Sinha, V., Ramachandra, T., Mani, S., and Stolze, M. User-centered Design & Business Process Modeling: Cross Road in Rapid Prototyping Tools. In Proc. of Interact’2007. Springer, Berlin, 2007, pp. 165–178.Google Scholar
- 15.Sukaviriya, N., Sinha, V., Ramachandra, T., and Mani, S. Model-Driven Approach for Managing Human Interface Design Life Cycle. In Proc. of MoDELS 2007. Springer, Berlin, pp. 226–240.Google Scholar
- 16.Sujitparapitaya, S., Janz, B.D., Wetherbe, J.C., and Sammet, D. Ascension Health Systems: Enterprise user Interface Approach to Organizational Data Management. In Proc. of 34th Hawaii International Conference on System Science, 2001.Google Scholar
- 17.Vanhooff, B., Van Baelen, S., Joosen, W., and Berbers, Y. Traceability as Input for Model Transformations. ECMDA Traceability Workshop (Haifa, Israel), 2007.Google Scholar
- 18.Vasconcelos, A., Caetano, A., Neves, J., Sinogas, P., Mendes, R., and Tribolet, J. A Framework for Modeling Strategy, Business Processes and Information Systems. In Proc. of IEEE EDOC’2008. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 2008.Google Scholar
- 19.The Apache Velocity Project. Available at http://velocity.apache.org. Accessed on Jan 1, 2008.