Integrating Usability Methods into Model-Based Software Development
Model-based software development is carried out as a well-defined process. Depending on the applied approach, different phases can be distinguished, for example, requirements specification, design, prototyping, implementation, and usability evaluation. During this iterative process, manifold artifacts are developed and modified, including models, source code, and usability evaluation data. CASE tools support the development stages well, but lack a seamless integration of usability evaluation methods. We aim at bridging the gap between development and usability, through enabling the cooperative use of artifacts with the particular tools. As a result of integration usability, experts save time to prepare an evaluation and evaluation results can be easily incorporated back into the development process. We show exemplary our work on enhancing the Eclipse framework to support usability evaluation for task model-based software development.
KeywordsUsability Evaluation Task Model Usability Expert Abstract User Interface Task Tree
The work of the first author was supported by a grant of the German National Research Foundation (DFG), Graduate School 1424.
- 1.Buchholz, G., Engel, J., Märtin, C., Propp, S.: Model-Based Usability Evaluation – Evaluation of Tool Support. HCII 2007, Beijing, China, pp. 1043–1052, 2007.Google Scholar
- 2.Forbrig, P., Dittmar, A., Reichart, D., Sinnig, D.: From Models to Interactive Systems – Tool Support and XIML. IUI/CADUI 2004, Funchal, Portugal, 2004.Google Scholar
- 3.Griethe, H., Fuchs, G., Schumann, H.: A Classification Scheme for Lens Techniques. WSCG’2005, Plzen, Czech Republic, 2005.Google Scholar
- 5.Malý, I., Slavík, P.: Towards Visual Analysis of Usability Test Logs. Tamodia 2006, Hasselt, Belgium, pp. 25–32, 2006.Google Scholar
- 6.Nielsen, J.: Usability Engineering, Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, ISBN 0-12-518406-9, 1994.Google Scholar
- 7.Paternò, F.: Model-Based Design and Evaluation of Interactive Applications. Springer, Berlin, ISBN 1-85233-155-0, 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.Paternò, F., Russino, A., Santoro, C.: Remote Evaluation of Mobile Applications. TAMODIA 2007, Toulouse, France, pp. 155–169, 2007.Google Scholar
- 9.Propp, S., Buchholz, G.: Visualization of Task Traces. Interact 2007 Workshop on New Methods in User-Centered System Design, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, 2007.Google Scholar
- 10.Pyla, P. S.; Howarth, J. R.; Catanzaro, C.; North, C.: Vizability: A Tool for Usability Engineering Process Improvement Through the Visualization of Usability Problem Data. Proceedings of the 44th Annual Southeast Regional Conference, ISBN 1-59593-315-8, pp. 620–625, 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.Wolff, A., Forbrig, P., Reichart, D.: Tool Support for Model-Based Generation of Advanced User Interfaces. MDDAUI 2005, Montego Bay, Jamaica, 2005.Google Scholar