Pharmacology of Drug Resistance
Resistance of pathogens to antimicrobial agents is a major problem for all fi elds of anti-infective therapy. Certainly, we are in a crisis of resistance with respect to antibacterial agents (1). Therapy of human immunodefi ciency virus (HIV) is often restricted by multidrug resistance (2). Multidrugresistant TB is exploding in several areas of the world. Most of the discussion below will focus on bacteria, but the ideas are applicable to any pathogen.
KeywordsMinimum Inhibitory Concentration Antimicrob Agent Infection Model Resistance Determinant Bacillus Anthracis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Talbot, GH, J Bradley, JE Edwards, Jr, D Gilbert, M Scheld, JG Bartlett. Antimicrobial Availability Task Force of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Bad bugs need drugs: an update on the development pipeline from the Antimicrobial Availability Task Force of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis 2006;42:657–658PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Preston, SL, GL Drusano, AL Berman, CL Fowler, AT Chow, B Dornseif, V Reichl, J Natarajan, FA Wong, M Corrado. Levofloxacin population pharmacokinetics and creation of a demographic model for prediction of individual drug clearance in patients with serious community-acquired infection. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1998;42:1098–1104PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Drusano, GL, SL Preston, C Hardalo, R Hare, C Banfield, O Vesga, D Andes and WA Craig. Use of preclinical data for the choice of a Phase II/III dose for evernimicin with application to decision support for identification of a preclinical MIC breakpoint. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2001;45:13–22PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Lodise, TP, B Lomaestro, KA Rodvold, LH Danziger, GL Drusano. Pharmacodynamic profiling of piperacillin in the presence of tazobactam in patients through the use of population pharma-cokinetic models and Monte Carlo simulation. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2004;48:4718–4724PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Jumbe, N, A Louie, R Leary, W Liu, MR Deziel, VH Tam, R Bachhawat, C Freeman, JB Kahn, K Bush, M N Dudley, MH Miller, GL Drusano. Application of a mathematical model to prevent in vivo amplification of antibiotic-resistant bacterial populations during therapy. J Clin Invest 2003;112:275–285PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Deziel, M, H Heine, A Louie, M Kao, WR Byrne, J Bassett, L Miller, K Bush, M Kelley, GL Drusano. Identification of effective antimicrobial regimens for use in humans for the therapy of Bacillus anthracis infections and post-exposure prophylaxis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005;49:5099–5106PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Peloquin, CA, TJ Cumbo, DE Nix, MF Sands, JJ Schentag. Evaluation of intravenous ciprofloxacin in patients with nosoco-mial lower respiratory tract infections: impact of plasma concentration and clinical condition on bacterial eradication. Arch Intern Med 1989;149:2269–2273PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Fink, MS, DR Snydman, MS Niederman, KV Leeper, Jr, RH Johnson, SO Heard, RG Wunderink, JW Caldwell, JJ Schentag, GA Siami, et al. Treatment of severe pneumonia in hospitalized patients: results of a randomized, double-blind trial comparing intravenous ciprofloxacin with imipenem-cilastatin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 1994;38:547–557PubMedGoogle Scholar