Video OCR: A Survey And Practitioner’s Guide
This survey strives to present the core concepts underlying the different texture-based approaches to automatic detection, segmentation and recognition of visual text occurrences in complex images and videos. It emphasizes the different approaches to attack the many issues in this space. For each kind of approach only a few representative references are given. This survey does not try to give an exhaustive listing of all relevant work, but to help practitioners and engineers new in the field to get a thorough overview of the state-of-the-art principles, methods, and systems in Video OCR. To this end, the approaches of the various researchers are broken up into constituents and presented as a design choice in a hypothetical image and video OCR system.
KeywordsVideo OCR text detection text segmentation text recognition text tracking texture survey guide scene text overlay text font attributes pixel classification non-Roman languages edge detection wavelets scale integration.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Lalitha Agnihotri and Nevenka Dimitrova. Text Dection for Video Analysis. IEEE Workshop on Content-Based Access of Image and Video Libraries, 22 June 1999, Fort Collins, Colorado, 1999.Google Scholar
- Min Cai, Jiqiang Song, and Michael R. Lyu. A New Approach for Video Text Detection. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, pp. 117–120, 2002.Google Scholar
- P. Clark and M. Mirmehdi. Finding Text Regions Using Localised Measures. Proceedings of the 11th British Machine Vision Conference, pp. 675–684, BMVA Press, September 2000.Google Scholar
- P. Clark and M. Mirmehdi. Estimating the orientation and recovery of text planes in a single image. Proceedings of the 12th British Machine Vision Conference, pp. 421–430, BMVA Press, September 2001.Google Scholar
- Huiping Li and David Doermann. Superresolution-Based Enhancement of Text in Digital Video. 15th th Pattern Recognition Conference, Vol. 1, pp. 847–850, 2000.Google Scholar
- Bernd Jaehne. Digital Image Processing. Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 1995.Google Scholar
- Ki-Young Jeong, Keechul Jung, Eun Yi Kim, and Hang Joon Kim. Neural Network-based Text Location for News Video Indexing. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Vol. 3, pp. 319–323, 1999.Google Scholar
- Rainer Lienhart and Frank Stuber. Automatic Text Recognition in Digital Videos. Proc. SPIE 2666: Image and Video Processing IV, pp. 180–188, 1996.Google Scholar
- Rainer Lienhart. Automatic Text Recognition for Video Indexing. Proc. ACM Multimedia 96, Boston, MA, pp. 11–20, Nov. 1996.Google Scholar
- Daniel Loprestie and JiangYing Zhou. Locating and Recognizing Text in WWW Images. Information Retrieval, Kluwer Academic Publishers, pp. 177–206, 2000.Google Scholar
- Vladimir Y. Mariano and Rangachar Kasturi. Locating Uniform-Colored Text in Video Frames. 15th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition, Vol. 4, pp. 539–542, 2000.Google Scholar
- G. Myers, R. Bolles, Q.-T. Luong, and J. Herson. Recognition of Text in 3-D Scenes. 4th th Symposium on Document Image Understanding Technology, Columbia, Maryland, pp. 23–25, April 2001.Google Scholar
- T. Sato, T. Kanade, E. Hughes, M. Smith. Video OCR for Digital News Archives.IEEE Workshop on Content-Based Access of Image and Video Databases, Bombay, India, January, pp. 52–60, 1998.Google Scholar
- Jae-Chang Shim, Chitra Dorai, and Ruud Bolle. Automatic Text Extraction from Video for Content-based Annotation and Retrieval. IBM Technical Report, RC21087, IBM Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, New York, January 1998.Google Scholar
- Paul Viola and Michael J. Jones. Rapid Object Detection using a Boosted Cascade of Simple Features.IEEE Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition, Vol. 1, pp. 511–518, 2001.Google Scholar
- Boon-Lock Yeo and Bede Liu. Visual Content Highlighting via Automatic Extraction of Embedded Captions on MPEG Compressed Video. in Digital Video Compression: Algorithms and Technologies, Proc. SPIE 2668–07 (1996).Google Scholar
- Yu Zhong, Hongjiang Zhang,and A.K. Jain. Automatic Caption Localization in Compressed Videos.IEEE International Conference on Image Processing, Vol. 2, pp. 96–100, 1999.Google Scholar