Convex Spectral Functions of Compact Operators, Part II: Lower Semicontinuity and Rearrangement Invariance
It was shown in Part I of this work that the Gateaux differentiability of a convex unitarily invariant function is characterized by that of a similar induced rearrangement invariant function on the corresponding spectral space. A natural question is then whether this is also the case for Fréchet differentibility. In this paper we show the answer is positive. Although the result appears very natural, the proof turns out to be quite technically involved.
Key wordsConvex spectral functions differentiability rearrangement invariant functions
Mathematics Subject Classification (2000)49J52 47B10
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clarke, F. H. (1990), Optimization and Nonsmooth Analysis, John Wiley amp; Sons, New York, 1983, Russian edition MIR, Moscow, (1988). Reprinted as Vol. 5 of the series Classics in Applied Mathematics, SIAM, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Faybusovich, L. (1998), Infinite-dimensional semidefinite programming: regularized determinants and self-concordant barriers, Topics in semidefinite and interior-point methods (Toronto, ON, 1996), 39–49, Fields Inst. Commun., 18, Amer. Math. Soc. Providence, RI.Google Scholar
- Friedland, S. and Nowosad, P. (1981), Extremal eigenvalue problems with indefinite kernels, Adv. in Math., 40,128–154.Google Scholar
- Gohberg, I. C. and Krein, M. G. (1969), Introduction to the Theory of Linear Nonselfadjoint Operators, Translations of Mathematical Monographs, Vol. 18, Amer. Math. Soc. Providence, RI.Google Scholar
- Hardy, G. H., Littlewood, J. E. and Pólya, G. (1952), Inequalities, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, U. K.Google Scholar
- Minc, H. (1988), Nonnegative Matrices, John Wiley amp; Sons, New York.Google Scholar
- Phelps, R. R. (1993), Convex Functions, Monotone Operators and Differentiability, Lecture Notes in Mathematics, No. 1364, Springer Verlag, N.Y., Berlin, Tokyo, Second Edition.Google Scholar
- Simon, B. (1979), Trace Ideals and Their Applications,Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- von Neumann, J. (1937), Some matrix inequalities and metrization of matricspace, Tomsk University Review, 1 (1937) 286–300. In: Collected Works, Pergamon, Oxford, 1962, Vol. IV, 205–218.Google Scholar