Residuation is a fundamental concept of ordered structures and categories. In this survey we consider the consequences of adding a residuated monoid operation to lattices. The resulting residuated lattices have been studied in several branches of mathematics, including the areas of lattice-ordered groups, ideal lattices of rings, linear logic and multi-valued logic. Our exposition aims to cover basic results and current developments, concentrating on the algebraic structure, the lattice of varieties, and decidability.
We end with a list of open problems that we hope will stimulate further research.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BCGJT]P. Bahls, J. Cole, N. Galatos, P. Jipsen, C. Tsinakis, Cancellative residuated lattices. preprint 2001.Google Scholar
- [BvA1]W. J. Blok and C. J. van Alten, The finite embeddability property for residuated lattices, pocrims and BCK-algebras. Preprint.Google Scholar
- [BvA2]W. J. Blok and C. J. van Alten, The finite embeddability property for partially ordered biresiduated integral groupoids. Preprint.Google Scholar
- [BT]K. Blount and C. Tsinakis, The structure of Residuated Lattices. Preprint.Google Scholar
- [COMOO]R. Cignoli, I. D’Ottaviano and D. Mundici, Algebraic foundations of manyvalued reasoning. Trends in Logic—Studia Logica Library 7 (2000); Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- [Co02]J. Cole, Examples of Residuated Orders on Free Monoids. In these Proceedings, 205–212.Google Scholar
- [Fe92]I. M. A. Ferreirim, On varieties and quasivarieties of hoops and their reducts. Ph. D. thesis (1992); University of Illinois at Chicago.Google Scholar
- [Ga00]N. Galatos, Selected topics on residuated lattices. Qualifying paper (2000), Vanderbilt University.Google Scholar
- [Ga02]N. Galatos, The undecidability of the word problem for distributive residuated lattices. In these Proceedings, 231–243.Google Scholar
- [GG83]A. M. W. Glass and Y. Gurevich, The word problem for lattice-ordered groups. Trans. AMS 280 (1983) no. 1, 127–138.Google Scholar
- [Gu67]Y. Gurevich, Hereditary undecidability of a class of lattice-ordered Abelian groups. (Russian) Algebra i Logika Sem. 6 (1967) no. 1, 45–62.Google Scholar
- [P. Hájek], Metamathematics of Fuzzy Logic. 4 Trends in Logic; (1998) Kluwer Acad. Publ., Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- [HRT]J. Hart, L. Rafter and C. Tsinakis, The structure of Commutative Residuated lattices. Intern’1 Jour. of Alg. and Comput.; to appear.Google Scholar
- [KO]T. Kowalski and H. Ono, Residuated Lattices. Preprint.Google Scholar
- [K000]T. Kowalski and H. Ono, Splittings in the variety of residuated lattices. Alg. Univ. bf 44 (2000) no. 3–4, 283–298.Google Scholar
- [Kr24]W. Krull, Axiomatische Begründung der algemeinen Idealtheorie, Sitzungsberichte der physikalischmedizinischen Societät zu Erlangen 56 (1924), 47–63.Google Scholar
- [McK96]R. McKenzie, An algebraic version of categorical equivalence for varieties and more general algebraic categories. In Logic and Algebra, A. Ursini, P. Aglianò, Eds.; (1996) Marcel Dekker, 211–244.Google Scholar
- [NPM99]V. Novâk, I. Perfilieva, and J. Mockor, Mathematical Principles of Fuzzy Logic. 517 Kluwer Intern’1 Ser. in Engin. and Comp. Sci. (1999), Kluwer Acad. Publ ., Dordrecht.Google Scholar
- [vA1]C. J. van Alten, Representable biresiduated lattices. Jour. of Alg.; to appear.Google Scholar
- [vA2]C. J. van Alten, The termwise equivalence of the varieties of group cones and generalized cancellative hoops. Preprint.Google Scholar