Surface Tension of Metals at the Interface with a Gas and Their Own Melt
One of the articles in this collection  gives a review of methods for the thermodynamic estimation of the surface energy of solids, and discusses a new device in the thermodynamics of disperse systems, which is based on what are called capillary effects of the second kind [2, 3]. In the present article, this device is applied to the examination of equilibria in three-phase disperse systems, whereby formulas can be derived for estimating the surface tension of a solid at the interface with a vapor and its own melt.
KeywordsSurface Tension Triple Point Disperse System Surface Phenomenon Capillary Effect
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Shcherbakov, Thermodynamic estimation of the surface energy of solids, this volume, p. 50.Google Scholar
- 2.L. M. Shcherbakov, Tr. Tul’sk. Mekhan. Inst. (7): 117, 1955; (8):173, 1958; L. M. Shcherbakov, Investigations in the Domain of Surface Forces (collection of papers presented at a conference on surface forces, April, 1960), Moscow, Institute of Physical Chemistry, Academy of Sciences, USSR.Google Scholar
- 3.L. M. Shcherbakov, Kolloidn. Zh. 23:215, 1961.Google Scholar
- 4.P. E. Strebeiko, The Influence of Crushing on Transition Temperatures; Dissertation, N. S. Kurnakov Institute of General and Inorganic Chemistry, Academy of Sciences, USSR, 1939; P. E. Strebeiko, Tr. Krasnodarsk. Khim.-Tekhn. Inst. 8:3, 1940.Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. V. Vul’f, Collected Works on Crystal Physics and Crystallography, 1952, p. 96.Google Scholar
- 6.B. V. Deryagin and E. Obukhov, Kolloidn. Zh. (1):385, 1935; B. V. Deryagin and M. M. Kusakov, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Khim. 5:741, 1936; 6:1119, 1937.Google Scholar
- 7.V. K. Semenchenko, Surface Phenomena in Metals and Alloys, 1957.Google Scholar
- 8.Reference Book of Physicochemical and Technological Data (edited by L. K. Martens), Vols. 1, 2, 5, 7, 1929-1930.Google Scholar
- 9.A. G. Samoilovich, Zh. Eksperim. i Teor. Fiz. 16:135, 1946.Google Scholar
- 10.A. E. Glauberman, Zh. Fiz. Khim. 23:115, 1949; I. M. Spitkovskii, Zh. Fiz. Khim.k24:1090, 1950.Google Scholar
- 11.L. L. Kunin, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 79:93, 1951.Google Scholar
- 12.V. I. Danilov, Zh. Eksperim.i Teor. Fiz. 19:235,1949; V.I. Danilov and A.G. Pomogaibo, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 68:843, 1949.Google Scholar