Inequalities and Monotonicity Properties for Gamma and q-Gamma Functions
We prove some new results and unify the proofs of old ones involving complete monotonicity of expressions involving gamma and q-gamma functions, 0 < q < 1. Each of these results implies the infinite divisibility of a related probability measure. In a few cases, we are able to get simple monotonicity without having complete monotonicity. All of the results lead to inequalities for these functions. Many of these were motivated by the bounds in a 1959 paper by Walter Gautschi. We show that some of the bounds can be extended to complex arguments.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Andrews G. E. q-Series: Their Development and Application in Analysis, Number Theory, Combinatorics, Physics, and Computer Algebra. Regional Conference Series in Mathematics Number 66, American Mathematical Society, Providence, 1985.Google Scholar
- Erdélyi A., Magnus W., Oberhettinger F., Tricomi F. G. Higher Transcendental Functions, vol. 1. McGraw-Hill, New York, 1953.Google Scholar
- Marshal A. W., Olkin I. Inequalities: Theory of Majorization and Applications. Academic Press, New York, 1979.Google Scholar
- Mitronović D. S. Analytic Inequalities. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 1971.Google Scholar
- Widder D. V. The Laplace Transform. Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1941.Google Scholar