L-Dopa-Induced Hypotension: Depression of Spinal Sympathetic Neurons by Release of 5-Hydroxytryptamine
In studies designed to determine the respective functional roles of two bulbospinal monoaminergic pathways to sympathetic preganglionic neurons, both L-dopa and precursors of 5-HT depressed transmission through excitatory spinal reflex and bulbospinal sympathetic pathways. Transmission through spinal reflex pathways was secondarily enhanced after L-dopa. Pharmacological tests indicated mediation of these effects by monoamines. After antagonism or depletion of central 5-HT, L-dopa only enhanced transmission through both pathways. The results indicate that hypotension and other sympathoinhibitory effects of L-dopa are produced at the spinal level by release of 5-HT from terminals of bulbospinal 5-HT pathways that are inhibitory to sympathetic preganglionic neurons. The excitatory effects of L-dopa are apparently mediated by release of catecholamines from bulbospinal noradrenergic pathways that are excitatory.
KeywordsSympathetic Nerve Activity Depressant Effect Excitatory Effect Reflex Pathway Sympathetic Discharge
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Antonaccio, M.J. and Robson, R.D. (1974a). L-dopa hypotension in dogs: Evidence for mediation through 5-HT release. Arohs int. Pharmaoodyn. Thér. 212 ,89–102.Google Scholar
- Antonaccio, M.J. and Robson, R.D. (1975). Centrally-mediated cardiovascular effects of 5-hydroxytryptophan in MAO-inhibited dogs: modification by autonomic antagonists. Arohs -int. Pharma oody. Thêr. 213 ,200–210.Google Scholar
- Dahlström, A. and Fuxe, K. (1965). Evidence for the existence of monoamine neurons in the central nervous system. II. Experimentally induced changes in intraneuronal amine levels of bulbospinal neuron systems. Aota physiol. soand. 64 ,Suppl. 247, 136.Google Scholar
- Jouvet, M. (1973). Serotonin and sleep in the cat. In Serotonin and Behavior (Barchas, J. and Usdin, E., Eds.) pp. 385–400. Academic Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Ng, L.K.Y., Colburn, R.W. and Kopin, I.J. (1972). Effects of L-dopa on accumulation and efflux of monoamines in particles of rat brain homogenates. J. Pharmac. exp. Ther. 183 ,316–325.Google Scholar
- Watanabe, A.M., Judy. W.V. and Cardon, P.V. (1974). Effect of L-dopa on blood pressure and sympathetic nerve activity after decarboxylase inhibiton in cats, J. Pharmao. exp. Ther. 188 ,107–113.Google Scholar
- Wise, C.D., Berger, B.D. and Stein, L. (1973). Evidence of œ-noradrenergic reward receptors and serotonergic punishment receptors in the rat brain. Biol. Psychiat. 8, 3–21.Google Scholar