Cannabinoid Receptors and the Cytokine Network
Marijuana components, especially Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), have been shown to modulate immune function in both in vivoand in vitroparadigms1. However, the impact of drug-induced immunomodulation on host resistance to infection is uncertain and only a few studies have been reported coupling animal infection models and drug treatment. The molecular mechanisms of drug-induced immunomodulation are also unknown. An endogenous cannabinoid system has been described over the past few years composed of receptors and ligands2 and evidence suggests that cells of the immune system express these receptors3-5. However, the precise role of these receptors in drug-induced immunomodulation is not clear.
KeywordsPertussis Toxin Cytokine Network Pokeweed Mitogen Splenocyte Culture Pertussis Toxin Treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Klein, T., Friedman, H. and Specter, S., Marijuana, immunity, and infection, J. Neuroimmunol., in press, (1998).Google Scholar
- 8.Kaminski, N.E., Abood, M.E., Kessler, F.K., Martin, B.R. and Schatz, A.R., Identification of a functionally relevant cannabinoid receptor on mouse spleen cells that is involved in cannabinoid-mediated immune modulation., Mol. Pharm., 42:736, (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.Rinaldi-Carmona, M., Barth, F., Heaulme, M., Shire, D., Calandra, B., Congy, C., Martinez, S., Maruani, J., Neliat, G., Caput, D., Ferrara, P., Soubrie, P., Breliere, J.C. and LeFur, G., SR141716A, a potent and selective antagonist of the brain cannabinoid receptor., FEBS Letters, 350:240, (1994).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Huffman, J.W., Yu, S., Showalter, V., Abood, M.E., Wiley, J.L., Compton, D.R., Martin, B.R., Bramblett, R.D. and Reggio, P.H., Synthesis and pharmacology of a very potent eannabinoid lacking a phenolic hy-droxyl with high affinity for the CB2 receptor., J. Med. Chem., 39:3875, (1996).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Bouaboula, M., Perrachon, S., Milligan, L., Canat, X., Rinaldi-Carmona, M., Portier, M., Barth, F., Calandra, B., Pecceu, F., Lupker, J., Maffrand, J., Le Fur, G. and Casellas, P., A selective inverse agonist for central eannabinoid receptor inhibits mitoge-activated protein kinase activation stimulated by insulin or insulin-like growth factor 1., J. Biol Chem., 272:22330, (1997).PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Galieque, S., Mary, S., Marchand, J., Dussossoy, D., Carriere, D., Carayon, P., Bouaboula, M., Shire, D., Le Fur, G. and Casellas, P., Expression of central and peripheral cannabinoid receptors in human immune tissues and leukocyte subpopulations., Eur. J. Biochem., 232:54, (1995).CrossRefGoogle Scholar