Tryptophan, Serotonin, and Melatonin pp 637-644
Latest on Enzymology of Serotonin Biosynthesis in Walnut Seeds
Serotonin (5-HT) accumulation in walnut cotyledons is seen as a detoxification mechanism protecting the sensitive plant tissues of seeds from highly toxic ammonia concentrations following seed desiccation. Different metabolic pathways and cell compartments are involved in biosynthesis and storage of 5-HT. Ammonia fixation and incorporation into the indole moiety of tryptophan is followed by 5-HT biosynthesis via tryptamine in a two-step pathway with the adaptive tryptophan decarboxylase and the constitutive tryptamine 5-hydroxylase. Evidence is provided that tryptamine 5-hydroxylase is a member of the cytochrome P450 family which is involved in lipid hydroxylation processes in the very early period of seed development.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aebi, H., 1974, Katalase. in: Methoden der enzymatischen Analyse I. (H. Bergmeyer, ed.), pp. 636–648, Verlag Chemie, Weinheim.Google Scholar
- Boll, M. and Kardinal, A., 1990, Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase from spruce (Picea abies). Properties and regulation, Z. Naturforsch. 45c:973–979.Google Scholar
- Bomhoff, G.H. and Spencer, M., 1977, Optimum pH and ionic strength for the assay of cytochrome c oxidase from pea cotyledon mitochondria, Can. J. Biochem. 55:114–116.Google Scholar
- Grosse, W. and Artigas, F., 1983, Incorporation of 15N-ammonia into serotonin in cotyledons of maturing walnuts, Z. Naturforsch. 38c:1057–1058.Google Scholar
- Grosse, W. and Schmidt, U., 1980, Ammonia detoxification by formation of serotonin in seeds of Juglans regia L. I. Accumulation of serotonin in protein bodies, Ber. Deutsch. Bot. Ges. 93:575–585.Google Scholar
- Grosse, W., 1977, Ammonia detoxification and tryptophan synthesis in leucoplasts of walnuts, Z. Pflanzen-physiol. 83:249–255.Google Scholar
- Grosse, W., Karisch, M., and Schröder, P., 1983, Serotonin biosynthesis and its regulation in seeds of Juglans regia L, Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 110:221–229.Google Scholar
- Schröder, P. and Beiford, E.J., 1996, Untersuchungen zur Aktivität von Glutathion S-Transferasen in Nadeln von Fichten im Schulterberg-und Christlumprofil, FBVA-Berichte 94:75–82.Google Scholar
- Schröder, P. and Stampfl, A., 1998, Visualization of glutathione conjugation and inducibility of glutathione S-transferases in onion (Allium cepa L.) epidermal tissue, Xenobiotica, submitted.Google Scholar
- Yonetani, T., 1967, Cytochrome c oxidase: Beef heart, in: Methods in Enzymology 10, Biomembranes (Colowick, S.P. and Kaplan, N.O., eds.), pp. 734–746, Acad. Press, New York.Google Scholar