Tryptophan, Serotonin, and Melatonin pp 79-84
Use of Melatonin in the Treatment of Phase Shift and Sleep Disorders
When administered to humans the pineal hormone melatonin can phase shift a number of circadian rhythms. This property has prompted the investigation of exogenous melatonin in sleep disorders known to have an underlying chronophysiological basis (i.e. circadian rhythm sleep disorders). Both in field and simulated studies of jet lag and shift work suitably timed melatonin improved sleep and, in some cases, hastened readaptation of the circadian rhythms following the phase shift. Melatonin treatment has also been evaluated in the circadian sleep disorders: delayed sleep phase syndrome (DSPS) and non-24-hour sleep wake disorder. Compared with placebo, melatonin advanced the sleep period in subjects with DSPS. Melatonin also improved a number of sleep parameters in blind subjects suffering from non-24-hour sleep wake disorder.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aldhous, M.E. and Arendt, J., 1993, Assessment of melatonin rhythms and the sleep-wake cycle in blind subjects, Adv. Pineal Res. 5:307–309.Google Scholar
- Arendt, J., 1995, Melatonin and the Mammalian Pineal Gland, Chapman and Hall, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Arendt, J., Aldhous, M., and Marks, V., 1986, Alleviation of jet lag by melatonin: preliminary results of controlled double blind trial, Brit. Med. J. 292:1170.Google Scholar
- Deacon, S., Skene, D., and Arendt, J., 1996, Use of light and/or melatonin in adaptation to phase shifts, in: Biologic Effects of Light 1995, (M.F. Holick and E.G. Jung E.G., eds.), pp. 398–405, Walter de Gruyter, Berlin.Google Scholar
- International Classification of Sleep Disorders: Diagnostic and Coding Manual. Diagnostic Classification Steering Committee, Thorpy, M.J. (ed.), 1990, Allen Press Inc., Lawrence, Kansas.Google Scholar
- Lockley, S.W., Skene, D.J., and Arendt, J., 1998, Changes in sleep in relation to circadian phase in the blind, in: Biological Clocks: Mechanisms and Applications, (Y. Touitou, ed.), pp. 247–252, Elsevier Science, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Spitzer, R.L., Terman, M., Malt, U., Singer, F., Terman, J.S., Williams, J.B.W., and Lewy, A.J., 1997, Failure of melatonin to affect jet lag in a randomised double blind trial. Society for Light Treatment and Biological Rhythms 9: abstract.Google Scholar