The Aharonov-Bohm Effect from the Point of View of Local Realism
- 299 Downloads
In 1959 Aharonov and Bohm pointed out that in quantum mechanics, unlike in classical physics, there can be observable effects on charged particles (such as electrons) confined to an electric and magnetic field-free space when there is an enclosed magnetic field in a region inaccessible to the electron wave function. Prediction of this striking effect, known as the Aharonov—Bohm (AB) effect, stimulated intensive investigations (more than 300 journal articles over the past 30 years) which culminated in the beautiful experiments using electron holography and microlithography that unambiguously verified the existence of this effect (these experiments have been reviewed by Tonomura(1) in a separate contribution to this volume; see also the pertinent references cited therein).
KeywordsMagnetic Flux Vector Potential Particle Trajectory SchrOdinger Equation Local Realism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Tonomura, in the present volume.Google Scholar
- 2.A. Einstein, in: Albert Einstein: Philosopher-Scientist (P. A. Schilpp, ed.), Open Court, La Salle, Ill. (1970).Google Scholar
- 3.N. Bohr, in Ref. 2.Google Scholar
- 5.Y. Aharonov, in: Proc. Int. Symp. on Foundations of Quantum Mechanics, Tokyo, 1983 (S. Kamefuchi et al., eds.), Physical Society of Japan, Tokyo (1984).Google Scholar
- 10.C. N. Yang, quoted by M. Peshkin and A. Tonomura, The Aharonov—Bohm Effect; Springer-Verlag, Berlin, (1989) p. 97.Google Scholar
- 12.R. A. Brown and D. Home, Locality and Causality in Time-Dependent Aharonov—Bohm Interference, Nuovo Cimento B 107 (1992).Google Scholar
- 16.A. Einstein, Letter to M. Schlick, Nov. 28, 1930; quoted by A. Fine, The Shaky Game—Einstein, Realism and the Quantum Theory, University of Chicago Press, Chicago, (1986) p. 97.Google Scholar
- 19.J. L. Andrade e Silva, Thése de Doctorat, Gauthier—Villars, Paris, 1960.Google Scholar
- 20.W. Heitler, The Quantum Theory of Radiation, Oxford University Press, London, (1944) p. 58.Google Scholar