Value of Quantified Mri to Predict Long-Term Prognosis of Early Stage Avascular Necrosis of the Femoral Head
There is a general consensus about the need for diagnosis of femoral head osteonecrosis (ON) as early as possible, but the indications and efficacity of treatment modalities at early stages remain controversial. This results for part from the poor knowledge of factors influencing the natural course of the disease. It is now more currently thought that the development of collapse is closely related to the extent and location of ON, rather than to its radiographic stage (Beltran, 1990; Chan, 1991; Ohzono, 1991).
KeywordsFemoral Head Weight Bear Avascular Necrosis Receive Operator Curve Core Decompression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- ARCO-Committee on Terminology and Classification. ARCO News. 4: 41–46 (1992).Google Scholar
- Camp, J.F., C.W. Colwell: Core decompression of the femoral head for osteonecrosis. J. Bone Joint Surg. 68-A: 1313–1319 (1986).Google Scholar
- Ficat, R.P.: Idiopathic bone necrosis of the femoral head: early diagnosis and treatment. J Bone Joint Surg. 67-B: 3–9 (1985).Google Scholar
- Hauzeur, J.P., J.L. Pasteels, A. Schoutens, M. Hinsenkamp, T. Appelboom, I. Chochrad, N. Perlemutter: The diagnostic value of magnetic resonance imaging in non-traumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J. Bone Joint Surg. 71-A: 641–649 (1989).Google Scholar
- Hernigou, P., M.C. Voisin, M. Marichez, E. Despres, D. Goutallier: Confrontation de l’imagerie par résonance magnétique nucléaire et de l’histologic dans les nécroses des têtes fémorales. Rev. Rhum. 56: 74 1–744 (1989).Google Scholar
- Hopson, C.N., S.W. Siverhus: Ischemic necrosis of the femoral head: treatment by core decompression. J. Bone Joint Surg. 70-A: 1048–1051 (1988).Google Scholar
- Learmonth, I.D., S. Maloon, G. Dall: Core decompression for early atraumatic osteonecrosis of the femoral head. J. Bone Joint Surg. 72-B: 387–390 (1990).Google Scholar
- Ohzono, K., M. Saito, K. Takaoka, K. Ono, S. Saito, T. Nishina, T. Kadowaki: Natural history of nontraumatic avascular necrosis of the femoral head. J. Bone Joint Surg. 73-B: 68–72 (1991).Google Scholar
- Patterson, R.J., W.H. Bickel, D. C. Dahlin: Idiopathic avascular necrosis of the head of the femur. J Bone Joint Surg. 46-A: 267–282 (1964).Google Scholar
- Saito, S., K. Ohzono, K. Ono: Joint-preserving operations for idiopathic avascular necrosis of the femoral head. Results of core decompression, grafting and osteotomy. J Bone Joint Surg. 70-B: 78–84 (1988).Google Scholar
- Seiler, J.G., M.J. Christie, L. Homra: Correlation of the findings of magnetic resonance imaging with those of bone biopsy in patients who have Stage I or II ischemic necrosis of the femoral head. J. Bone Joint Surg. 71-A: 28–32 (1989).Google Scholar