NetExpert: Agent-Based Expertise Location by Means of Social and Knowledge Networks
Locating expertise sources in a community of interest or practice is a critical need for distributed organizations. Usually expertise location is done through the use of personal social or knowledge networks and involves aspects such as trust and reputation. However, and especially in distributed organizations relying on communication technologies for cooperation, each member of a community is just aware of its own personal social or knowledge network. This makes difficult to get to know other potential experts in the community which may pertain to other members’ networks. NetExpert is an agent-based expertise location system that replicates the process of social and knowledge network building at community or organization level. In so doing it is able to connect several networks and put into contact expertise that otherwise would remain hidden.
KeywordsSoftware agents multiagent systems assistant agents expertise location social networks knowledge networks collaborative systems knowledge mapping knowledge management
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Ackerman, M. S. and McDonald, D. W. (1996). Answer Garden 2: Merging Organizational Memory with collaborative help. In Computer Supported Cooperative Work, pages 97–105.Google Scholar
- Adamic, L. (1999). The Small World Web. In Abiteboul, S. and Vercoustre, A.-M., editors, Proc. 3rd European Conf. Research and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, ECDL, number 1696. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Borghoff, U. M. and Pareschi, R. (1998). Information Technology Support for Knowledge Management. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Contractor, N., Zink, D., and Chan, M. (1998). IKNOW: A tool to assist and study the creation, maintenance, and dissolution of knowledge networks. In Ishida, T., editor, Community Computing and Support Systems, number 1519 in Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 201–217, Berlin. Springer-Verlag.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fava, M. (2001). Construcciö automàtica de thesaurus mitjantcant xarxes bayesianes. Master’s thesis, Technical University of CataloniaGoogle Scholar
- Garcia, R. (2001). Extensiöcol.laborativadel servei de localitzaciö d’expertesa. Master’s thesis, Technical University of Catalonia.Google Scholar
- JATLite (2001). Java Agent Template, Lite. Stanford University. Available at http://java.stanford.edu.
- Kautz, H., Selman, B., and Shah, M. (1997). The hidden web. AI Magazine, (18).Google Scholar
- Liao, M., Hinkelmann, K., Abecker, A., and Sintek, M. (1999). A Competence Knowledge Based System as Part of the Organizational Memory. In on Artificial Intelligence, L. N., editor, Proceedings of the 5th Biannual German Conference on Knowledge-Based Systems, number 1570, pages 125–137.Google Scholar
- McDonald, D. W. and Ackerman, M. S. (1998). Just Talk To Me: A Field Study of Expertise Location. In Proc. Conference on Computer-Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW’98), Seattle, pages 315–324. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- McDonald, D. W. and Ackerman, M. S. (2000). Expertise recommender: a flexible recommendation system and architecture. In Proceedings of the ACM 2000 Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work, CSCW, pages 231–240, Philadelphia.Google Scholar
- Pujol, J. M. (2000). NetExpert: Localitzador d’expertesa. Master’s thesis, Technical University of Catalonia.Google Scholar
- Pujol, J. M. and Sangüesa, R. (2001). Reputation Measures for Expertise Location Agents by means of Social Networks. In Proceedings of the 4th Congrès Català de Intel.ligència Artificial, pages 205–213.Google Scholar
- Salton, G. and McGill, M. J. (1983). Introduction to Modern Information Retrieval. McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Sangüesa, R., Vázquez, A., and Vázquez, J. (2000). ACE: a multiagent recommender system using mixed collaborative and cognitive filtering. In Proceedings of the WARS 2000, Workshop on Agent-based Recommender Systems.Google Scholar
- Shardanand, U. and Maes, P. (1995). Social Information Filtering: Algorithms for automating “word of mouth”. In Proceedings of the Conference in Human Factors in Computer Systems (CHV’95), pages 210–217.Google Scholar
- Vázquez, A., Vázquez, J., Barrio, I., Pujol, J. M., and Sangüesa, R. (2001). The Collaboratory. Technical Report LSI-01-22-R., Technical University of Catalonia.Google Scholar
- Vivacqua, A. S. (1999). Agents for expertise location. In Proceedings of the 1999 AAAI Spring Symposium on Intelligent Agents in Cyberspace.Google Scholar
- Wenger, E. (1999). Communities of Practice: Learning, Meaning, Identity. Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar