3D structures of alloys and nanoparticles observed by electron tomography
3D structures of bulk alloys and nanoparticles have been studied by means of electron tomography using scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM). In the case of nanoparticles of Fe-Pd alloy, particle size, shape, and locations were reconstructed by weighted backprojection (WBP), as well as by simultaneous iterative reconstruction technique (SIRT). We have also estimated the particle size by simple extrapolation of tilt-series original data sets, which proved to be quite powerful. We demonstrate that WBP yields a better estimation of the particle size in the z direction than SIRT does, while the latter algorithm is superior to the former from the viewpoints of surface roughness and dot-like artifacts. In contrast, SIRT gives a better result than WBP for the reconstruction of plate-like precipitates in Mg-Dy-Nd alloys, in respect of the plate thickness perpendicular to the z direction. We also show our recent results on the 3D-tomographic observations of microstructures in Ti-V-Al, Ti-Nb, Cu-Ag, and Co-Ni-Cr-Mo alloys obtained by STEM tomography.
KeywordsTilt Angle Electron Tomography Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy Discontinuous Precipitation Atom Probe Tomography
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hirsch P, Howie A, Nicholson R, Pashley DW, Whelan MJ, Electron Microscopy of Thin Crystals (Krieger, Florida,1977).Google Scholar
- 2.Buseck P, Cowley JM, Eyring L, (ed.), High-Resolution Transmission Electron Microscopy and AssociatedTechniques (Oxford, New York, 1992).Google Scholar
- 3.Shirai M, Horiuchi T, Horiguchi A, Matsumura S, Yasuda K, Watanabe M, Masumoto T, Morphological change inFePt nanogranular thin films induced by irradiation with 2.4MeV Cu2+ ions: electron tomography observation, Mater.Trans. 47(1), 52-58 (2006).Google Scholar
- 10.Fujita T, Qian LH, Inoke K, Erlebacher J, Chen MW, Three-dimensional morphology of nanoporous gold, Appl.Phys. Lett. 92(25), 251902-1−251902-3 (2008).Google Scholar
- 13.Sato K, Aoyagi K, Konno TJ, Three-dimensional shapes and distribution of FePd nanoparticles observed by electrontomography using HAADF-STEM, J. Appl. Phys. 107(2), 024304-1−024304-7 (2010).Google Scholar
- 14.Radermacher M, Weighted Back-Projection Method, in: Frank J. (ed.), Electron Tomography: Three-dimensionalImaging with the Transmission Electron Microscope (Plenum Press, New York, London, 1992).Google Scholar
- 16.Sato K, Hirotsu Y, Mori H, Wang Z, Hirayama T, Long-range order parameter of single L10-FePd nanoparticledetermined by nanobeam electron diffraction, J. Appl. Phys. 98(2), 024308-1−024308-8 (2005).Google Scholar
- 18.Epicier T, Benlekbir S, Sato K, Tournus F, Konno TJ, "STEM-HAADF tomography and generalized stereoscopy 3Dstudies of nano-particles in Transmission Electron Microscopy", invited talk at MicroScience 2010 (session M2.1),8London, UK, June 29 – July 1, 2010.Google Scholar
- 21.Shizuya E, Konno TJ, A study on age hardening in Cu-Ag alloys by transmission electron microscopy in Frontiers inMaterials Science, edited by Fujikawa Y, Nakajima K, Sakurai T (Springer-Verlag, New York, 2008).Google Scholar
- 22.Konno TJ, Aoyagi K, Shizuya E, Lee JB, Sato K, Kiguchi T, Hiraga K, Phase transformation behavior in alloysviewed by 3D-tomography, Proc. 9th Asia-Pacific Microscopy Conference (APMC9), 227-228 (2008).Google Scholar
- 23.Konno TJ, Tadano T, Matsumoto H, Chiba A, Microstructure of Co-Ni based superalloys, Proc. 14th EuropeanMicroscopy Congress (EMC2008), 2, 447-448 (2008).Google Scholar