In contrast to the rapid progress that has been made in establishing the molecular structure and properties of viroids, the elucidation of their intriguing mechanism of replication and pathogenesis has been rather slow and frustrating. This is mainly due to system-inherent experimental limitations in higher plants, which are less well suited to study the dynamic aspects of protein and nucleic acid metabolism at the cellular level than bacterial and animal cell systems. However, a shift of emphasis toward investigating the cell biological and functional aspects of viroids, in particular their mode of replication, has recently become apparent.
KeywordsPotato Spindle Tuber Viroid Potato Spindle Tuber Virus Rolling Circle Mechanism Chrysanthemum Stunt Viroid Viroid Species
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Butler, E. T., and Chamberlin, M. J., 1982, Bacteriophage SP6-specific RNA polymerase, Biol. Chem. 257:5772.Google Scholar
- Cress, D. E., and Owens, R. A., 1981, Construction of a full-length double-stranded cDNA clone of potato spindle tuber viroid, Recombinant DNA 1:90.Google Scholar
- Diener, T. O., 1970, Circular ribonucleic acids in healthy and potato spindle tuber virus-infected tomato tissue, Phytopathology 16:1289.Google Scholar
- Diener, T. O., 1971b, Potato spindle tuber “virus.” IV. A replicating, low molecular weight RNA, Virology 45:411.Google Scholar
- Gross, H. J., Krupp, G., Domdey, H., Steger, G., Riesner, D., and Sänger, H. L., 1981, The structure of three plant viroids, Nucleic Acids Res. Symp. Ser. 10:91.Google Scholar
- Kamen, R. I., 1975, Structure and function of the Qß replicase, in: RNA Phages (N. D. Zinder, ed.), pp. 203–234, Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, Cold Spring Harbor, N.Y.Google Scholar
- McClements, W., 1975, Electron microscopy of RNA: Examination of viroids and a method for mapping single-stranded RNA, Ph.D. thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison.Google Scholar
- Singer, H. L., 1972, An infectious and replicating RNA of low molecular weight: The agent of the exocortis disease of citrus, Adv. Biosci. 8:103.Google Scholar
- Sänger, H. L., and Ramm, K., 1975, Radioactive labelling of viroids, in: Modification of the Information Content of Plant Cells (R. Markham, D. R. Davies, D. A. Hopwood, and R. W. Home, eds.), pp. 229–252, Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Siegel, A., and Hariharasubramanian, Y., 1974, Reproduction of small plant RNA viruses, in: Comprehensive Virology ,Vol. 2 (H. Fraenkel-Conrat and R. R. Wagner, eds.), pp. 61–108, Plenum Press, New York.Google Scholar
- Wieland, T., and Faulstich, H., 1978, Amatoxins, phallotoxins, phallolysin and antamanide: The biologically active components of poisonous Amanita mushrooms, Crit. Rev. Biochem. 5:185.Google Scholar
- Wollgiehn, R., 1982, RNA polymerase and regulation of transcription, in: Encyclopedia of Plant Physiology, New Series (B. Parthier and D. Boulter, eds.], pp. 125–159, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.Google Scholar