Modal Environment for Boolean Speculations
The common form of a mathematical theorem consists in that “the truth of some properties for some objects is necessary and/or sufficient condition for other properties to hold for other objects”. To formalize this, one happens to resort to Kripke modal logic K which, having in the syntax the notions of ‘property’ and ‘necessity’, appears to provide a reliable metamathematical fundament. In this paper we challenge this reliability. We propose two different approaches each claiming better formal treatment of the state of affairs. The first approach is in formalizing the notion of ‘sufficiency’ (which remains beyond the capacities of K), and consequently of ‘sufficiency’ and ‘necessity’ in a joint context. The second is our older idea to formalize the notion of ‘object’ in the same modal spirit. Having ‘property, object, sufficiency, necessity’, we establish some basic results and profess to properly formalize the everyday metamathematical reason.
KeywordsModal Logic Kripke Model Dynamic Logic Completeness Theorem Modal Formula
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- van Benthem, J.F.A.K., 1977, Modal Logic as Second-Order Logic, Report 77-04, Dept. of Mathematics, Univ. of Amsterdam, March.Google Scholar
- Bull, R.A., 1968, On Possible Worlds in Propositional Calculi, Theoria, 34.Google Scholar
- Goldblatt, R.I., 1982, Axiomatizing the Logic of Computer Programming, Springer LNCS 130, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Goldblatt, R.I. & S.K. Thomason, 1975, Axiomatic Classes in Propositional Modal Logic, in: Springer LNM 450, 163–173.Google Scholar
- Passy, S.I., 1984, Combinatory Dynamic Logic, Ph.D. Thesis, Mathematics Faculty, Sofia Univ., October.Google Scholar
- Passy, S. & T. Tinchev, 1985b, Quantifiers in Combinatory PDL: Completeness, Definability, Incompleteness, in: Springer LNCS 199, 512–519.Google Scholar
- Tehlikeli, S. (S. Passy), 1985, An Alternative Modal Logic, Internal Semantics and External Syntax (A Philosophical Abstract of a Mathematical Essay), manuscript, December.Google Scholar
- Tinchev, T.V., 1986, Extensions of Propositional Dynamic Logic (in Bulgarian), Ph.D. Thesis, Mathematics Faculty, Sofia Univ., June.Google Scholar
- Vakarelov, D., 1974, Consistency, Completeness and Negation, in: Essays on Paraconsistent Logics, Philosophia Verlag, to appear.Google Scholar
- Weyl, H., 1940, The Ghost of the Modality, in: Philosophical Essays in Memory of Edmund Husserl, Cambridge (Mass.), 278–303.Google Scholar