Synthesis and Characterization of Aliphatic Aromatic Polyamide — Metal Complexes
Synthesis, characterization and physico-chemical studies of metal-chelate polymers are of great importance. Renewed interest in this field has been evinced in the context of obtaining materials with high temperature resistance. The potential applications of metal containing polymers are numerous and well documented. Schiff s base complexes involving low molecular weight diamines and aldehydes were extensively studied. Polyamides are versatile high performance polymers. A variety of aliphatic, aromatic and aliphatic-aromatic polyamides have been synthesised. In order to improve the thermal properties of existing polyamides, we have attempted to synthesise polyamide-Schiff’s base complexes1,2. In the present paper, we are reporting the syntheses of polyamide schiff’s base coordination polymers using amino terminated oligomers of hexamethylene terephthalamide (PHTA) and Co(II), Ni(II) and Cu(II) complexes with salicylaldehyde and 2-hydroxy 1-napthaldehyde.
KeywordsMetal Complex Coordination Polymer Terephthalic Acid High Temperature Resistance Hexamethylene Diamine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. Brandrup and E.H. Immergut, “Polymer Hand Book”, Inter-science publishers, John Wiley & Sons, New York, p. IV–81, 1967. Google Scholar
- 4.L.J. Bellamy, Amides, proteins and polypeptides, in: “The Infra-red Spectra of Complex Molecules”, John Wiley & Sons, New York, pp. 204–206 (1964). Google Scholar
- 5.B.G. Achhamimer, F.W. Reinhart, and G.M. Kline, Mechanism of degradation of some polyamides, J. Res. Nat. Bur. Stand., 46: 381 (1951). Google Scholar
- 6.B. Kamerbeek, G.H. Kroes, W. Grolle, Thermal degradation of some polyamides, Khim. Tekhnol. Polim., 4: 53 (1961). Google Scholar
- 7.J. Dipietro, H. Barda, and H. Stepniczka, Burning character-istics of cotton, polyester and nylon fabrics, Text. Chem. Color., 3: 45 (1971). Google Scholar
- 8.R.M. Fuoss, I.O.Salyer and H.S.Wilson, Evaluation of rate constants from thermogravimetric data, J. Polym. Sci., Part A-2: 3147 (1971). Google Scholar
- 9.H. Irving and R.J.P. Williams, The stability of transition- metal compleres, J. Chem. Soc., 3192: (1951). Google Scholar