Gröbner Bases in Integer Programming
Recently, application of the theory of Gröbner bases to integer programming has given rise to new tools and results in this field. Here we present this algebraic theory as the natural integer analog of the simplex approach to linear programming Although couched in algebra, the theory of Gröbner bases and its consequences for integer programming are intimately intertwined with polyhedral geometry and lattice arithmetic which are staples of the traditional approach to this subject.
KeywordsInteger Program Monomial Ideal Cost Vector Regular Triangulation Graver Basis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- W.W. Adams and P. Loustaunau, An Introduction to Gröbner Bases, American Mathematical Society, Graduate Studies in Math., Vol. I II, 1994.Google Scholar
- B. Buchberger, On Finding a Vector Space Basis of the Residue Class Ring Modulo a Zero Dimensional Polynomial Ideal (German), Ph.D. Thesis, Univ of Innsbruck, Austria, 1965.Google Scholar
- G. Cornuejols, R. Urbaniak, R. Weismantel and L. Wolsey, Decomposition of integer programs and of generating sets, Fifth Annual European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA’97), Graz, Austria, 1997. To appear in LNCS, Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- P. Diaconis and B. Sturmfels, Algebraic algorithms for sampling from conditional distributionsAnnals of Statistics,to appear.Google Scholar
- D. Grayson and M. StillmanMacaulay 2: a computer algebra system, available from http://www.math.uiuc.edu/dan/.
- M.Hayer and W.Hochstättler, personal communication.Google Scholar
- S. Hosten, Degrees of Gröbner Bases of Integer Programs, Ph. D. Thesis, Cornell University, 1997.Google Scholar
- S. Hosten and B. Sturmfels, GRIN: An implementation of Gröbner bases for integer programming, in Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (E. Balas and J. Clausen eds.), LNCS Vol. 920 (1995) pp. 267–276.Google Scholar
- B. Sturmfels, Gröbner Bases and Convex Polytopes, American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI, 1995.Google Scholar
- R.R.Thomas and R.Weismantel, Truncated Gröbner bases for integer programming, Applicable Algebra in Engineering, Communication and Computing,to appear.Google Scholar
- R.Urbaniak, R.Weismantel and G.Ziegler, A variant of Buchberger’s algorithm for integer programming, SIAM J. on Discrete Mathematics, Vol. 1 (1997) pp. 96–108.Google Scholar