Juris Hartmanis: The Beginnings of Computational Complexity
I wish to commend the organizing committee for the 1988 Structures Symposium on their plan to honor Juris Hartmanis with this series of talks on his career2. This is a very appropriate tribute since complexity theory is now approximately 25 years old and Juris has been a prime mover in the field throughout its history. I was privileged to have worked with Hartmanis during the early period of his complexity research, and I am grateful for this opportunity to reminisce about this time period and the beginnings of complexity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Cho59]N. Chomsky. On certain formal properties of grammars. Information and Control, 2: 136–167, 1959.Google Scholar
- [CUR68]Curriculum 68 — Recommendations for Academic Problems in Computer Science — A Report of the A CM Curriculum Committee on Computer Science, 1968. Communications of ACM, vol. 11, 3, page 151–197.Google Scholar
- [HLS65]J. Hartmanis, P.M. Lewis, and R.E. Stearns. Classification of computations by time and memory requirements. In Proc. of IFIP Congress, pages 31–35, 1965.Google Scholar
- [HS63]J. Hartmanis and R.E. Stearns. A study of feedback and errors in sequential machines. IEEE Transactions on Electronic Computers, EC-12, 3, June 1963.Google Scholar
- [HS64a]J. Hartmanis and R.E. Stearns. Compuational complexity of recursive sequences. In Proc. Fifth Annual Symp. on Switching Theory and Logical Design, Princeton, NJ, 1964.Google Scholar
- [LSH65]P.M. Lewis, R.E. Stearns, and J. Hartmanis. Memory bounds for recognition of context free and context sensitive languages. In Proc. 6th Annual Symp. on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, pages 191–202, October 1965.Google Scholar
- [Myh60]J. Myhill. Linear Bounded Automata. Technical Report No. 60-22, University of Pennsylvania, 1960.Google Scholar
- [Rab59]M.O. Rabin. Speed of computation and classification of recursive sets. In Third Convention Science Society, pages 1–2, Israel, 1959.Google Scholar
- [Rab60]M.O. Rabin. Degree of Difficulty of Computing a Function and a Partial Ordering of Recursive Sets. Technical Report No. 2, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, 1960.Google Scholar
- [SH61]R.E. Stearns and J. Hartmanis. On the state assignment problem for sequential machines II. IRE Transactions on Electronic Computers, EC-10, 4: 593–603, December 1961.Google Scholar
- [SHL65]R.E. Stearns, J. Hartmanis, and P.M. Lewis. Hierarchies of memory limited computations. Proc. 6th Annual Symp. on Switching Circuit Theory and Logical Design, 179–190, October 1965.Google Scholar