Rigid Religiosity and Mental Health: An Empirical Study
The present project relates to the empirical psychology of religion, where a main achievement has been the classification of religion into extrinsic and intrinsic orientations. Previous research has already made some effort to relate the concepts of religious orientation to psychopathology, and our aim has been to carry this effort one step further, and in doing so, to focus on the rigidity-flexibility aspect of religious orientations.
KeywordsReligious Orientation Intrinsic Religiosity Intrinsic Orientation Extrinsic Religiosity Empirical Psychology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adorno, T.W., Frenket brunswick, E., Leuinson, D.J., & Sanford, R.N. (1950). The authoritarian personality. New York: Harper.Google Scholar
- Allen, R.O. & spilka, b. (1967). committed and consensual religion: a specification of religion-prejudice relationships. journal for the scientific study of religion 6, 191–206.Google Scholar
- Allport, G.W. (1950). The individual and his religion. New York: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Batson, C.D. & Ventis, W.L. (1982). The religious experience: A social- psychological perspective. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Fowler, J.W. (1981). Stages of faith: the psychology of human development and the quest for meaning. San Francisco: Harper and Row Google Scholar
- Fromm, E. (1950). Psychoanalysis and religion. New Haven: Yale University Press.Google Scholar
- Hunt, R.A. (1972). Mythological-symbolic religious commitment: The LAM Scales. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion, 11 4252, p. II.Google Scholar
- Rokeach, M. (1960). The open and closed mind. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Rubenowitz, S. (1963). Emotional rigidity-flexibility as a comprehensive dimension of mind. Stockholm: Almquist and Wiksell Google Scholar
- Rubenowitz, S. (1970). Personlighetspsykologi. Stockholm: Aldus/Bonniers.Google Scholar
- Stifoss-Hanssen, H. (1987). Religiös rigiditet og mental helse [Religious rigidity and mental health]. In O. Wikström (Ed.), Religionspsykologi Nu(pp. 67 – 80 ). Uppsala: Uppsala Universitet.Google Scholar
- Strommen, M.P. (Ed). (1972). A study of generations. Minneapolis: Augsburg.Google Scholar