Secondary Analytic Indices
We define real-valued characteristic classes of flat complex vector bundles, and flat real vector bundles with a duality structure. We construct pushforwards of such vector bundles with vanishing characteristic classes. These pushforwards involve the analytic torsion form in the first case and the eta form of the signature operator in the second case. We show that the pushforwards are independent of the geometric choices made in the constructions and hence are topological in nature. We give evidence that in the first case, the pushforwards are given topologically by the Becker-Gottlieb-Dold transfer.
KeywordsVector Bundle Short Exact Sequence Chern Character Complex Vector Bundle Cochain Complex
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- M. Atiyah, The signature of fiber bundles, in Global Analysis, Papers in Honor of K. Kodaira, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1969, 73–84.Google Scholar
- A. Borel and N. Wallach, Continuous Cohomology, Discrete Subgroups and Representations of Reductive Groups, Ann. Math. Stud. 94, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 1980.Google Scholar
- W. Dwyer, M. Weiss, and B. Williams, A parametrized index theorem for the algebraic K-theory Euler class, http://www.math.uiuc.edu/K-theory/0086/index.html.Google Scholar
- H. Gillet and C. Soulé, Characteristic classes for algebraic vector bundles with Hermitian metric I, II, Ann. Math. 131 (1990), 163–170, 205–238.Google Scholar
- K. Igusa, Parametrized Morse theory and its applications, in Proc. Int. Cong. of Mathematicians, Kyoto, 1990, Math. Soc. of Japan, Tokyo, 1991, 643–651.Google Scholar