This chapter introduces the concepts related to the regulation of energy industries. It first presents the traditional regulation, followed by the modern concepts of regulation (incentive regulation). The pros and cons of each alternative are discussed as well.
KeywordsTraditional regulation Incentive regulation Rate of return Asset base Price cap Revenue cap Yardstick competition
- Alexander, I., & Harris, C. (2001). Incentive regulation and multi-year price controls: choice, constraints and calculations, SAFIR Workshop, New Delhi. http://www.safir.teri.res.in/wkshp/7-8aug2001/ia.pdf.
- Bakovic, T., Tenenbaum, B., & Woolf, F. (2003). Regulation by contract: A new way to privatise electricity distribution? Energy and Mining Sector Board Discussion, Paper no. 7, World Bank.Google Scholar
- Berg, S. V., undated, Introduction to the fundamentals of incentive regulation, in Infrastructure regulation and market reform, Public Utility Research Center, University of Florida.Google Scholar
- Bernstein, J. I., Sappington, D. E. M. (1998). Setting the X factor in price cap regulation plans, NBER Working paper 6622, National Bureau of Economic Research, Cambridge, USA.Google Scholar
- Chong, E. (2004). Yardstick competition vs. individual incentive regulation: what has the theoretical literature to say? ATOM, University of Paris 1, Paris.Google Scholar
- Comnes, G. A., Stoft, S., Greene, N., & Hill, L. J. (1995). Performance-based ratemaking for electric utilities: Review of plans and analysis of economic and resource plan issues (Vol. 1). Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory: University of California, California.Google Scholar
- Economic Consulting Associates. (2018). Methodologies and parameters used to determine the allowed or target revenue of gas transmission system operators (TSOs), Economic Consulting Associates, London. https://www.acer.europa.eu/Official_documents/Acts_of_the_Agency/Publication/Consultant%20Report.pdf.
- Guasch, J. L., & Spiller, P. (1999). Managing the regulatory process: Design, concepts, issues and the Latin American and Caribbean story, World Bank, Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Intven, H. (Ed.). (2000). Telecommunication regulation handbook. Washington, D.C: World Bank.Google Scholar
- IPART. (2001). Form of economic regulation for NSW electricity network charges, Discussion paper DP48, Independent Pricing and Regulatory Tribunal of New South Wales, Australia. http://www.ipart.nsw.gov.au/files/DP48.pdf.
- Joskow, P. (2014). Incentive regulation in theory and practice, chapter in NBER Book NL Rose (ed.), Economic regulation and its reform: What have we learned? University of Chicago Press, Chicago. https://www.nber.org/chapters/c12566.
- Kahn, A. (1989). The economics of regulation, principles and Institutions, MIT Press, London.Google Scholar
- King, S. undated, Principles of price cap regulation, in Infrastructure regulation and market reform, Public Utility Research Center, University of Florida. http://bear.cba.ufl.edu/centers/purc/publications/accc/05.pdf.
- Laffont, J. J., & Tirole, J. (1993). A theory of incentives in procurement and regulation. Massachusetts: MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Lowry, M. N., & Kaufmann, L. (1994). Price cap designer’s handbook. Madison, Wisconsin: Pacific Economics Group.Google Scholar
- NARUC. (2000). Performance based regulation for distribution utilities, The Regulatory Assistance Project, National Association of Regulatory Utilities Commission.Google Scholar
- Navarro, P. (1996a). The simple analytics of Performance-based ratemaking: A guide for the PBR regulator. The Yale Journal of Regulation, 13(105), 105–161.Google Scholar
- Navarro, P. (1996b). Seven basic rules for the PBR regulator, The Electricity Journal, April, pp. 24–30.Google Scholar
- NER. (2003). Economic Regulation of transmission using incentive based regulation. Pretoria, South Africa: National Economic Regulator.Google Scholar
- Newbery, D. M. G. (1999). Privatisation, restructuring and regulation of network utilities. Massachusetts: The MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Parmesano, H., Rankin, W., Nieto, A., & Irastorza, V. (2004). Classification and allocation methods for generation and transmission in Cost-of-Service studies, NERA, National Economic Research Associates, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Ros, A. J. (2001). Principles and practice of price cap regulation: An application to the Peruvian context, NERA Discussion paper, National Economic Research Associates, Washington, D.C.Google Scholar
- Sappington, D. E. M., & Weisman, D. (2016). The price cap regulation paradox in the electricity sector. The Energy Journal, 29(3), 1–5.Google Scholar
- Shleifer, A. (1985). A theory of yardstick competition. Rand Journal of Economics, 16(3), Autumn, 319–328.Google Scholar
- Swisher, J. N., Jannuzzi, G. M., & Redlinger, R. Y. (1997). Tools and methods for integrated resource planning: Improving energy efficiency and protecting the environment. Riso: UCCEE.Google Scholar
- Tenenbaum, B., Lock, R., & Barker, J. (1992). Electricity privatisation: Structural, competitive and regulatory options. Energy Policy, 1134–1160.Google Scholar
- Viehoff, I. (1995). Evaluating RPI-X NERA topics 17. London, U.K.: National Economic Research Associates.Google Scholar
- Viscusi, W. K., Harrington, J. E., & Vernon, J. M. (2005). Economics of regulation and Anti-trust, The MIT Press, Massachusetts, 4th edn.Google Scholar
- Voll, S., Bhattacharyya, S. C., Juris, A. (1998). Cost of capital for privatised distribution companies: A working paper for a calculation for India, NERA Working paper, National Economic Research Associates, Washington D.C.Google Scholar
- Weston, F. (2000). Charging for distribution utility services: Issues in rate design, The Regulatory Assistance Project. http://www.raponline.org/Pubs/General/DistRate.pdf.
- Weyman-Jones, T. G. (1990). RPI-X price cap regulation: The price controls used in UK electricity, Utilities Policy, October, pp. 65–77.Google Scholar
- Williamson, B., & Toft, S. (2001). The appropriate role of yardstick methods in regulation, NERA Working paper, National Economic Research Associates, Washington, D. C.Google Scholar