The Grand Challenge of Traceability (v1.0)
This chapter offers a vision for traceability in software and systems engineering and outlines eight challenges that need to be addressed in order to achieve it. One of these challenges is referred to as the grand challenge of traceability because making traceability ubiquitous in software and systems development (traceability challenge eight) demands progress with all seven other challenges. A model of a generic traceability process is used as a framework through which the goals and requirements of each challenge are expressed. For each requirement, the current status of the traceability research and practice is summarised, and areas of promise are highlighted. This systematic analysis is used to articulate eight major research themes for the traceability community, along with a number of underlying research topics and positive adoption practices for industry. This work is a snapshot of an ongoing and collaborative effort between traceability researchers and practitioners within the Center of Excellence for Software Traceability. It is intended to form a structured agenda for traceability research and practice, a basis for classifying research contributions and a means to track progress in the field.
- Arkley, P., Riddle, S.: Overcoming the traceability benefit problem. In Proceedings of the 13th IEEE International Conference on Requirements Engineering, Paris, France, pp. 385–389, 29 Aug–2 Sep 2005.Google Scholar
- Bianchi, A., Visaggio, G., Fasolino, A.R.: An exploratory case study of the maintenance effectiveness of traceability models. In Proceedings of the 8th International Workshop on Program Comprehension, Limerick, Ireland, pp. 149–158, 10–11 June 2000.Google Scholar
- Cleland-Huang, J., Hayes J.H., Dekhtyar, A. (Eds.): Center of Excellence for Traceability: Problem Statements and Grand Challenges (v0.1). Center of Excellence for Traceability Technical Report COET-GCT-06-01-0.9, 10 Sep 2006.Google Scholar
- Cleland-Huang, J., Czauderna, A., Dekhtyar, A., Gotel, O., Huffman Hayes, J., Keenan, E., Leach, G., Maletic, J., Poshyvanyk, D., Shin, Y., Zisman, A., Antoniol, G., Berenbach, B., Egyed, A., Maeder, P.: Grand challenges, benchmarks, and TraceLab: Developing infrastructure for the software traceability research community. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Workshop on Traceability in Emerging Forms of Software Engineering, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA, 23 May 2011.Google Scholar
- CMMI Product Team: CMMI for Development, Version 1.3. Technical Report CMU/SEI-2010-TR-033 (ESC-TR-2010-033), Carnegie Mellon University Software Engineering Institute, Nov 2010.Google Scholar
- Dahlstedt, A.G., Persson, A.: Requirements interdependencies: State of the art and future challenges. In: Aurum A., Wohlin, C. (Eds.), Engineering and Managing Software Requirements, Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg (2005).Google Scholar
- Egyed, A., Grünbacher, P., Heindl, M., Biffl, S.: Value-based requirements traceability: Lessons learned. In: Proceedings of the 15th IEEE International Requirements Engineering Conference, New Delhi, India, pp. 115–118, 15–19 Oct 2007.Google Scholar
- Gotel, O., Finkelstein, A.: An analysis of the requirements traceability problem. In: Proceedings of the 1st IEEE International Conference on Requirements Engineering, Colorado Springs, CO, USA, pp. 94–101, 18–22 Apr 1994.Google Scholar
- Hayes, J.H., Dekhtyar, A., Cleland-Huang, J.: Charter (Business Plan) for the center of excellence for traceability. COET-CBP-07-02-1.0, 15 Feb 2007. http://www.traceabilitycenter.org/.
- Radio Technical Commission for Aeronautics, Inc. (RTCA). DO-178B: Software considerations in airborne systems and equipment certification, Issued 12-1-92, Prepared by SC-167, Supersedes DO-178A, Errata Issued 3-26-99.Google Scholar
- Spanoudakis, G., Zisman, A.: Software traceability: A roadmap. In: Chang, S.K. (ed.) Handbook of Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, Volume 3: Recent Advances, World Scientific Publishing Co., ISBN:981-256-273-7, Aug 2005.Google Scholar
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration, General Principles of Software Validation; Final Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff, January 11, 2002, http://www.fda.gov/MedicalDevices/deviceregulationandguidance/guidancedocuments/ucm085281.htm.
- von Knethen, A., Paech, B.: A survey on tracing approaches in practice and research, Fraunhofer IESE Research Report 095.01/E, Kaiserslautern, Germany, 2002, http://publica.fraunhofer.de/documents/N-9197.html. Accessed Jan 2010.