Software Failure Data Analysis of two Successive Generations of a Switching System
Experimental studies dealing with the analysis of data collected on families of products are seldom reported. In this paper, we analyse the failure data of two successive products of a software switching system during validation and operation. A comparative analysis is done with respect to: i) the modifications performed on system components, ii) the distribution of failures and corrected faults in the components and the functions fulfilled by the system, and iii) the evolution of the failure intensity functions.
KeywordsFault Density Successive Product Software Reliability Switching System Failure Data
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Laprie J. C., “For a Product-in-a Process Approach to Software Reliability Evaluation”, in Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Software Reliability Engineering, pp.134–139, Raleigh, NC, USA, October 1992.Google Scholar
- Wallace J. J. and Barnes W. W., “Designing for Ultrahigh Availability: The Unix RTR Operating System”, Computer, pp.31–39, August 1984.Google Scholar
- Sullivan M. and Chillarege R., “A Comparison of Software Defects in Database Management Systems and Operating Systems”, in Proc. 22nd IEEE Int. Symp. on Fault-Tolerant Computing (FTCS-22), pp.475–484, Boston, MA, USA, July 1992.Google Scholar
- Kanoun K., Bastos Martini M. and Moreira de Souza J., “A Method for Software Reliability Analysis and Prediction—Application to The TROPICO-R Switching System”, IEEE Trans. Software Engineering, SE-17 (4) April 1991.Google Scholar
- Kanoun K., Kaâniche M. and Laprie J.-C., “Experience in Software Reliability: From Data Collection to Quantitative Evaluation”, in Proc. 4th Int. Symp. on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE’93), Denver, CO, USA, November 1993.Google Scholar
- Vianna B., “R&D at TELEBRAS-CPqD: The TROPICO System”, in Proc. Int. Conf. Communications (ICC 88), pp.622–626, Philadelphia, PA, USA, June 1988.Google Scholar
- Vianna B., Cunha E. C. and Boin F. F., “Hardware Quality Control in the TROPICO System”, in Proc. Int. Conf. Communications (ICC 88), pp.632–636, Philadelphia, PA, USA, June 1988.Google Scholar
- Grady R. B. and Caswell D. L., Software Metrics: Establishing a Company-Wide Program, 288p., Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, USA, 1987.Google Scholar
- Kenney G. Q. and Vouk M. A., “Measuring the Field Quality of Wide-Distribution Commercial Software”, in Proc. 3rd Int. Symp. on Software Reliability Engineering (ISSRE’92), pp.351-357, Raleigh, NC, USA, October 1992.Google Scholar
- Musa J., Iannino A. and Okumoto K., Software Reliability: Measurement, Prediction, Application, Computer Science Series, McGraw-Hill, New-York, 1987.Google Scholar