A Comparison of Semi-deterministic and Stochastic Search Techniques
This paper presents an investigation of two search techniques, tabu search (TS) and simulated annealing (SA), to assess their relative merits when applied to engineering design optimisation. Design optimisation problems are generally characterised as having multi-modal search spaces and discontinuities making global optimisation techniques beneficial. Both techniques claim to be capable of locating globally optimum solutions on a range of problems but this capability is derived from different underlying philosophies. While tabu search uses a semi-deterministic approach to escape local optima, simulated annealing uses a complete stochastic approach. The performance of each technique is investigated using a structural optimisation problem. These performances are then compared to each other as well as a steepest descent (SD) method.
KeywordsSimulated Annealing Topology Optimisation Tabu Search Steep Descent Simulated Annealing Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Connor A M, Tilley D G, 1998. A tabu search algorithm for the optimisation of fluid power circuits, Journal of Systems and Control212 (5): 373–381Google Scholar
- 5.Arostegui, M, Kadipasaoglu, S N, Khumawala, B M, 1998 Empirical evaluation of tabu search, simulated annealing, and genetic algorithms on facilities location problem, Annual Meeting of the Decision Sciences Institute, Vol. 3, pp. 1091Google Scholar
- 9.Swartz W, Sechen C, 1990. New algorithms for the placement and routing of macro cells, Proceedings of the IEEE Conference on Computer-Aided Design, Santa Clara, CA, November 11–15, IEEE proceedings: Cat No. 90CH2924–9, pp. 336–339.Google Scholar
- 10.Hustin S. (1988), “Tun, a new standard cell placement program based on the simulated annealing algorithm,” Master of Science, University of California, Berkeley, Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science.Google Scholar
- 11.Ochotta E S, 1994. Synthesis of high-performance analog cells in ASTRX/OBLX. Ph.D. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University.Google Scholar
- 12.Shea K, Cagan J, 1998. Topology Design of Truss Structures by Shape annealing, Proceedings of DETC98: 1998 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences, September 1998, Atlanta, GA, DETC98/DAC-5624.Google Scholar