Vision on Conservation: Virterf
Although more and more computer-aided technologies are utilised or demonstrated on well-known monuments or archaeological sites, there is - at least for the professionals working in the field - still some lack of clarity about their application. The main idea of our research project is to construct a prototype of a tool that tries to bring new technologies closer to the daily practice. It incorporates recent developments in computer vision and reverse engineering, while at the same time tries to answer the practical concerns from civil servants, architects, topographers, art-historians,… who are responsible for the conservation of monuments or archaeological sites. The proposed system covers automatic correspondence analysis and point cloud manipulation to build up a textured 3D model. This model then acts as the central core of a multimedia data structure for the annotation, geometric and thematic interrogation and visualisation of the building or site being studied.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Contact information: ir.arch. Kris Nuyts, Dept. ASRO, Kasteelpark Arenberg 1, 3001 Leuven, Belgium; tel 0032.16.321769, fax 0032.16.321984 e-mail:firstname.lastname@example.org; project website:http://virterf.asro.kuleuven.ac.be
- 2.Sponsored by IWT (http://www.iwt.be) as an STWW project.
- 5.Searls, C. L., L. Binde, J. F. Henriksen, et al., Group Report: How Can We Diagnose the Condition of Stone Monuments and Arrive to Suitable Treatment Programs? Saving Our Architectural Heritage: the Conservation of Historic Stone Structures. Eds N. S. Baer, and R. Snethlage, pp. 199–221.Google Scholar
- 6.B. Palo Torsello, La Materia del Restauro, techniche e teorie analitiche, Venezia pp 131–132Google Scholar
- 7.Letellier R., Computers in Conservation: Toronto, Quebec City, and Afterwards, in APT Bulletin Vol XXVI nl, 1994, pp.6–10.Google Scholar
- 8.G. T. Mader, Angewandte Bauforschung als Planungshilfe bei der Denkmalinstandsetzung, in Kirschbaum J., Erfassen und dokumentieren im Denkmalschutz (Schriftenreihe des Deutschen Nationalkomitees fur Denkmalschutz,16), 1980, pp 42.Google Scholar
- 9.Van Balen K., Nuyts K., Smars P., et al., Optimisation of models for the evaluation of the stability of vaulted gothic structures using deformation measurements and crack analyses, research report RLCC KULeuven, 1995Nuyts K., Van Balen K., Cathedral of Antwerp, Preliminary investigation facade restoration, research report RLCC KULeuven, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Alonzo C.Addison, Virtualised Architecturel Heritage- New Tools and Techniques for Capturing Built History, VMSS98 FutureFusion, p.17–22Google Scholar
- 11.D. Pletinckx, D. Callebaut, A.E.Killebrew ea, Virtual Heritage Presentation at Ename, IEEE MultiMedia, april-june 2000, p45–48Google Scholar
- 12.M. Pollefeys, R. Koch, M. Vergauwen, L.Van Gool, Automatic Generation of 3D Models from Photographs, VMSS98 FutureFusion, p.128–133.Google Scholar