This chapter describes how system supported optimization techniques can be applied to ECA rules to improve their runtime performance. In so doing, it is indicated how existing optimization techniques for passive databases can be adapted and extended for use with active rules, and in particular, how the results of rule analysis can be combined with multiple query optimization techniques to support effective optimization of rule bases.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BW95]E. Baralis and J. Widom. Using Delta Relations to Optimize Condition Evaluation in Active Databases. In T. Sellis, editor, Proc. 2nd Intl. Workshop on Rules In Database Systems (RIDS), pages 292–308. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [CFPT96]S. Ceri, P. Fraternali, S. Paraboschi, and L. Tanca. Active Rule Management in Chimera. In J. Widom and S. Ceri, editors, Active Database Systems: Triggers and Rules for Active Database Processing, pages 151–175. Morgan Kaufmann, 1996.Google Scholar
- [CM95]C. Collet and J. Manchado. Optimization of Active Rules With Parallelism. In M. Berndtsson and J. Hansson, editors, Proc. Active and Real Time Database Systems (ARTDB), pages 82–103. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [DPW96]A. Dinn, N.W. Paton, and M.H. Williams. Active Rule Analysis and Optimisation in Object-Oriented Databases. 1996. Submitted for publication.Google Scholar
- [DPWF96]A. Dinn, N.W. Paton, M.H. Williams, and A.A.A. Fernandes. An Active Rule Language for ROCK & ROLL. In R. Morrison and J. Kennedy, editors, Proc. 14th British National Conference on Databases, pages 36–55. Springer-Verlag, 1996.Google Scholar
- [GJS92]N.H. Gehami, H.V. Jagadish, and O. Shmueli. Composite Event Specification in Active Databases: Model & Implementation. In 18th Intl. Conf. on Very Large Data Bases, Barcelona, pages 327–338. Morgan Kaufmann, 1992.Google Scholar
- [RC88]A. Rosenthal and U.S. Chakravarthy. Anatomy of a Multiple Query Optimiser. In Proc. 14th VLDB., pages 230–239, 1988.Google Scholar
- [RPS95]S. Reddi, A. Poulovassilis, and C. Small. Extending a Functional DBPL With ECA-Rules. In T. Sellis, editor, Proc. 2nd Intl. Workshop on Rules in Database Systems, pages 101–115. Springer-Verlag, 1995.Google Scholar
- [SJGP90]M. Stonebraker, A. Jhingran, J. Goh, and S. Potamianos. On Rules, Procedures, Caching and Views in Database Systems. In Proc. ACM SIGMOD, pages 281–290, 1990.Google Scholar