Linked Data for Fighting Global Hunger:Experiences in setting standards for Agricultural Information Management
FAO, the Food and Agriculture Organization of the UN, has the global goal to defeat hunger and eliminate poverty. One of its core functions is the generation, dissemination and application of information and knowledge. Since 2000, the Agricultural InformationManagement Standards (AIMS) activity in FAO’s Knowledge Exchange and Capacity Building Division has promoted the use of Semantic Web standards to improve information sharing within a global network of research institutes and related partner organizations. The strategy emphasizes the use of simple descriptive metadata, thesauri, and ontologies for integrating access to information from a wide range of sources for both scientific and non-expert audiences. An early adopter of Semantic Web technology, the AIMS strategy is evolving to help information providers in nineteen language areas use modern Linked Data methods to improve the quality of life in developing rural areas, home to seventy percent of the world’s poor and hungry people.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Brickley, Dan. 2003. Missing isn’t broken: data validation and freedom on the Semantic Web. FOAF Project Blog, http://blog.foaf-project.org/2003/07/missing-isnt-broken-datavalidation-and-freedom-on-the-semantic-web/.
- 2.Caracciolo, Caterina. 2009. D7.2.3. Initial Network of Fisheries Ontologies. NeOn Project. http://www.neon-project.org/web-content/images/Publications/neon 2009 d723.pdf
- 3.Gruber, Thomas. 1995. Toward Principles for the Design of Ontologies Used for Knowledge Sharing. International Journal Human-Computer Studies 43(5–6]: 907–928.Google Scholar
- 5.Independent External Evaluation of FAO. 2007. Rome: FAO. ftp://ftp.fao.org/docrep/fao/meeting/012/k0827e02.pdf.
- 6.Isaac, Antoine, Jon Phipps, Daniel Rubin. 2009. SKOS Use Cases and Requirements. [W3C Working Group Note, 18 August 2009]. http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-ucr/#UC-Aims.
- 7.McGuiness, Deborah, Frank van Harmelen, eds. 2004. OWL Web Ontology Language Overview. [W3C Recommendation 10 February 2004]. http://www.w3.org/TR/owl-features/.
- 8.Miles, Alistair, Sean Bechhofer, eds. 2009. SKOS Simple Knowledge Organization System Reference. [W3C Recommendation, 18 August 2009]. http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/.
- 9.Sauermann, Leo, Richard Cyganiak. 2008. Cool URIs for the Semantic Web [W3C Interest Group Note 03 December 2008]. http://www.w3.org/TR/cooluris/.
- 10.Soergel, Dagobert, Boris Lauser, Anita Liang, Frehiwot Fisseha, Johannes Keizer, and Stephen Katz. 2004. Reengineering thesauri for new applications: the AGROVOC example. Journal of Digital Information 4(4). http://journals.tdl.org/jodi/article/view/112/111.