Methods to Analyse Agricultural Commodity Price Volatility
A broad set of methods are available to analyse price volatility. However, due to specific market characteristics and policy implications, agricultural commodity price volatility cannot be analysed as financial price volatility. This chapter reviews these points and outlines the content of the book.
- Balcombe K. (2009). The nature and determinants of volatility in agricultural prices. An empirical study from 1962–2008. Rome: FAO.Google Scholar
- Jevons W.S. (1884), Investigations in currency and finance. London: Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Knight F.H. (1921) Risk, uncertainty and profit. Hart, Schaffner, and Marx Prize Essays, no. 31. Boston, MA: Houghton Mifflin.Google Scholar
- Nerlove M., Grether D.M., Carvalho J.L. (1995). Analysis of economic time series. A synthesis (revised edition). San Diego, CA: Academic.Google Scholar
- Schnepf R. (1999). Assessing agricultural commodity price variability. ERS/USDA – Agricultural Outlook.Google Scholar
- Schnepf R. (2005). Price determination in agricultural commodity markets: a primer. CRS – Congressional Research Service – Report for Congress, RL33204.Google Scholar