IT Knowledge Requirements Identification in Organizational Networks: Cooperation Between Industrial Organizations and Universities
ICT professionals face rapid technology development, changes in design paradigms, methodologies, approaches, and cooperation patterns. These changes impact relationships between universities that teach ICT disciplines and industrial organizations that develop and use ICT-based products. The required knowledge and skills of university graduates depend mainly on the current industrial situation; therefore the university graduates have to meet industry requirements which are stated at the time point of their graduation, not at the start of their studies. Continuous cooperation between universities and industrial organizations is needed to identify a time and situation-dependent set of knowledge requirements, which lead to situation aware, industry acknowledged, balanced and productive ICT study programs. This chapter proposes information systems solutions supporting cooperation between the university and the industrial organizations with respect to curriculum development in ICT area.
KeywordsEducational institution Knowledge requirements Study program Industrial standards
- 1.Armoni, M., and Gal-Ezer, J. (2006) Reduction – An abstract thinking pattern: The case of the computational models course. In: Proceedings of the 37th SIGCSE Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (SIGCSE'06), Houston, USA, March 1–5, pp. 389–393.Google Scholar
- 2.Braun, S., Schmidt, A., and Walter, A. (2007) Ontology Maturing: A collaborative Web 2.0 Approach to Ontology Engineering, Workshop on Social and Collaborative Construction of Structured Knowledge at WWW.Google Scholar
- 3.European e-Competence Framework, Retrieved June 29, 2009, from: http://www.ecompetences.eu.
- 4.Euzenat, J., and Shvaiko, P. (2007) Ontology Matching, Springer, New York.Google Scholar
- 5.Fanning, F., and Camplin, J. C. (2008) Body of Knowledge. Professional Safety 53(11): 54.Google Scholar
- 6.Gautschi, H. (2005) Search in Any Language. EContent 28(5): 29.Google Scholar
- 7.Ghose, A., and Koliadis, G. (2008) Actor Eco-systems: Modeling and Configuring Virtual Enterprises. In: Congress on Services Part II, Beijing, China, September 23–26, pp. 125–132.Google Scholar
- 9.IBM (2009) IBM Professional Certification Program. Retrieved May 1, 2009, from: http://www-03.ibm.com/certify/index.shtml.
- 10.Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (2004) Guide to the Software Engineering Body of Knowledge. Retrieved May 5, 2009, from http://www.computer.org/portal/web/swebok.
- 11.International Institute of Business Analysis (2006) A Guide to the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge. Retrieved May 5, 2009, from http://www.theiiba.org/AM/Template.cfm?Section=Version_1_6.
- 12.Kirikova, M., Grundspenkis, J., and Sukovskis, U. (2008) Educational “ecosystem” for information systems engineering. In: I. Horvath, and Z. Rusak (Eds.) Proceedings of the 7th International Symposium on Tools and Methods of Competitive Engineering (TMCE), Turkey, April 21–25. Delft University of Technology, pp. 769–783.Google Scholar
- 13.Microsoft learning (2009) Description of Microsoft Certification exam “Designing, Assessing, and Optimizing Software Asset Management (SAM)”. Retrieved May 5, 2009, from: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Exams/70-673.aspx.
- 14.O*NET Resource Center (2009) About O * NET, Retrieved May 2, 2009, from: http://www.onetcenter.org/overview.html.
- 15.Project Management Institute (2004) A Guide to the Project Management Body of Knowledge. Retrieved May 5, 2009, from http://www.pmi.org/PMBOK-Guide-and-Standards.aspx.
- 16.Registry of Occupational standard of Latvia. Available at: http://www.izmpic.gov.lv/PSR/psr.html.
- 17.Rudzajs, P. (2008) Development of knowledge renewal service for the maintanace of employers’ database, Bachelor thesis (Riga Technical University), Riga, Latvia.Google Scholar
- 18.SFIA Foundation (2009) Skills Framework for the Information Age (SFIA), Retrieved June 29, 2009, from: http://www.sfia.org.uk.
- 19.Strazdina, R., Stecjuka, J., Andersone, I., Kirikova, M. (2008) Statistical analysis for supporting inter-institutional knowledge flows in the context of educational system, Accepted at the 19th International Conference on Information Systems development (ISD2008), Paphos, Cyprus, August 25–27.Google Scholar
- 20.Studer, R., Grimm, S., and Abecker, A. (2007) Semantic Web Services. Concepts, Technologies, and Applications. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 21.Subrahmanyam, G. (2009) A dynamic framework for software engineering education curriculum to reduce the gap between the software organizations and software educational institutions. In: Proceedings of the 2009 22nd Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training, Washington, February 17–20, pp. 248–254.Google Scholar
- 22.Torra, V. (2003) Information Fusion in Data Mining. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- 24.Zhong, N., Liu, J., and Yao, Y. (2003) Web Intelligence. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar