Extending WS-Agreement with Multi-round Negotiation Capability
- First Online:
The WS-Agreement specification of the Open Grid Forum defines a language and a protocol for advertising the capabilities of service providers and creating agreements based on templates, and for monitoring agreement compliance at runtime. While the specification, which currently is in the process of transition from a proposed recommendation of the Open Grid Forum to a full recommendation, has been widely used after the initial publication in May 2007, it became obvious that the missing possibility to negotiate an agreement rather than just accepting an offer is limiting or inhibiting the use of WS-Agreement for a number of use-cases. Therefore, the Grid Resource Allocation Agreement Working Group of the Open Grid Forum started in 2008 to prepare an extension of WS-Agreement that adds negotiation capabilities without changing the current specification in a way, which leads to an incompatible new version of WS-Agreement. In this paper we present the results of this process with an updated version of the specification in mind and the first implementation in the European project SmartLM.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.F.M.T. Brazier, D.G.A. Mobach, and B.J. Overeinder. A WS-Agreement Based Resource Negotiation Framework for Mobile Agents. In Scalable Computing Practice and Experience, Vol. 7(1), Warsaw School of Social Psychology, Poland, pages 23–36, March 2006.Google Scholar
- 2.G. Di Modica, V. Regalbuto, O. Tomarchio, and L. Vita. Enabling re-negotiations of SLA by extending the WS-Agreement specification. In IEEE International Conference on Services Computing 2007 (SCC 2007), pages 248–251, July 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.P. Hasselmeyer, H. Mersch, H.-N. Quyen, L. Schubert, B. Koller, and Ph. Wieder. Implementing an SLA Negotiation Framework. Expanding the Knowledge Economy: Issues, Applications, Case Studies, pages 154–161, 2007. ISBN: 978-1-58603-801-4.Google Scholar
- 4.S. Hudert, H. Ludwig, and G. Wirtz. Negotiating Service Levels — A generic negotiation framework for WS-Agreement. In Proceedings of the 20th International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering, 2008. to appear.Google Scholar
- 5.M. Parkin, P. Hasselmeyer, B. Koller, and P. Wieder. An SLA Re-negotation Protocol. In Proceedings of the 2nd Non Functional Properties and Service Level Agreements in Service Oriented Computing Workshop (NFPSLA-SOC’08) in conjunction with the 6th IEEE European Conference on Web Services, Springer, 2008. to appear.Google Scholar
- 6.M. Parkin, R.M. Badia, and J. Martrat. A Comparison of SLA Use in Six of the European Commissions FP6 Projects. Technical Report TR-0129, Institute on Resource Management and Scheduling, CoreGRID - Network of Excellence, April 2008.Google Scholar
- 7.Ph. Wieder, O. Waldrich, and W. Ziegler. A meta-scheduling service for co-allocating arbitrary types of resources. In Proceedings of the 6th International Conference, Parallel Processing and Applied Mathematics, PPAM 2005, LNCS, Vol. 3911, Poznan, Poland, pages 782–791, Springer, September 2005.Google Scholar
- 8.PHOSPHORUS — Lambda User Controlled Infrastructure for European Research, 2009. http://www.ist-phosphorus.eu/.
- 9.A. Pichot, Ph. Wieder, O. Wäldrich, and W. Ziegler. Towards dynamic Service Level Agreement negotiation - an approach based on WS-Agreement". In Web information systems and technologies, LNBIP, pages 107–119. Springer, 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.C. Qu, L. Schubert, B. Koller, and Ph. Wieder. Towards Autonomous Brokered SLA Negotiation. In Proceedings of the eChallenges Conference (e-2006), October 2006.Google Scholar
- 11.J. Seidel, O. Wäldrich, Ph. Wieder, R. Yahyapour, and W. Ziegler. SLA for Resource Management and Scheduling - A Survey. In Grid Middleware and Services: Challenges and Solutions, CoreGRID series 8, Springer, 2008.Google Scholar
- 12.SmartLM — Grid-friendly software licensing for location independent application execution, 2009. http://www.smartlm.eu/.
- 13.Web Service Agreement (WS-Agreement). Grid Forum Document, GFD.107, proposed recommendation, Open Grid Forum. URL: http://www.ogf.org/documents/GFD.107.pdf.
- 14.W. Ziegler, Ph. Wieder, and D. Battré. Extending WS-Agreement for dynamic negotiation of Service Level Agreements. Technical Report TR-0172, Institute on Resource Management and Scheduling, CoreGRID - Network of Excellence, August 2008.Google Scholar