A Note on Planar Hexagonal Meshes
We study the geometry and computation of free-form hexagonal meshes with planar faces (to be called P-Hex meshes). Several existing methods are reviewed and a new method is proposed for computing P-Hex meshes to approximate a given surface. The outstanding issues with these methods and further research directions are discussed.
KeywordsPlanar hexagonal meshes Dupin indicatrix polyhedral approximation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- H. Almegaard, A. Bagger, J. Gravesen, B. Jüttler, and Z. Sir, Surfaces with piecewise linear support functions over spherical triangulations, in Proceedings of Mathematics of Surfaces XII, LNCS 4647, Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- J. Díaz, C. Otero, R. Togores, and C. Manchado, Power diagrams in the design of chordal space structures, in The 2nd International Symposium on Voronoi Diagrams in Science and Engineering, pp. 93–104, 2005.Google Scholar
- H. Kawaharada and K. Sugihara, Dual subdivision – a new class of subdivision schemes using projective duality, in The 14th International Conference in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision, pp. 9–17, 2006.Google Scholar
- H. Pottmann, Y. Liu, J. Wallner, A. Bobenko, and W. Wang, Geometry of multi-layer freeform structures for architecture, ACM Transactions on Graphics (SIGGRAPH 2007), 26(3), Article No. 65, 2007.Google Scholar
- W. Wang, Y. Liu, D. Yan, B. Chan, R. Ling, and F. Sun, Hexagonal meshes with planar faces, Technical Report, TR-2008-13, Department of Computer Science, The University of Hong Kong, 2008.Google Scholar