Recovering Data from Cracked Optical Discs using Hankel Iterative Learning Control
Optical discs, including Compact Discs (CDs), Digital Versatile Discs (DVDs), and Blu-ray Discs (BDs), can get cracked during storage and usage. Such cracks commonly lead to discontinuities in the data track, potentially preventing reading of the data on the disc. The aim of the present paper is to improve tracking performance of the optical disc drive in the presence of cracks. A Hankel Iterative Learning Control (ILC) algorithm is presented that can perfectly steer the lens during the crack towards the beginning of the track immediately after the crack, i.e., the actuator is steered appropriately during the crack crossing to compensate for the discontinuity in the data track. Experimental results confirm improved reading capabilities of cracked discs. The presented approach potentially enables the recovery of data from cracked discs that were previously considered as unreadable.
KeywordsConvolution Doyle Verse Bide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Åström, K.J., Wittenmark, B.: Computed-Controlled Systems: Theory and Design, second edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, USA (1990)Google Scholar
- Bien, Z., Xu, J.X.: Iterative Learning Control: Analysis, Design, Integration and Applications, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Norwell, MA, USA (1998)Google Scholar
- Coastor: Has anyone tried burning a disc swith a cracked inner ring? http://club.cdfreaks.com (2007)
- Dijkstra, B.: Iterative learning control, with applications to a wafer-stage. Ph.D. thesis, Delft University of Technology, Delft, The Netherlands (2004)Google Scholar
- Dijkstra, B.G., Bosgra, O.H.: Extrapolation of optimal lifted system ILC solution, with application to a waferstage. In: Proceedings of the 2002 American Control Conference, pp. 2595−2600. Anchorage, AK, USA (2002)Google Scholar
- Van Helvoirt, J., Steinbuch, M., Leenknegt, G.A.L., Goossens, H.J.: Disc defect classification for optical disc drives. IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics 51(3), 856−863 (2005)Google Scholar
- Jutte, P.T.: Light path design for optical disk systems. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands (2005)Google Scholar
- Moore, K.L.: Iterative learning control - an expository overview. Applied and Computational Controls, Signal Processing, and Circuits 1, 151−214 (1999)Google Scholar
- Starwing, F.: Disappointed: Cracked disc. http://utforums.epicgames.com (2007)
- Van de Wijdeven, J.: Iterative learning control design for uncertain and time-windowed systems. Ph.D. thesis, Eindhoven University of Technology, Eindhoven, The Netherlands (2008)Google Scholar
- Van de Wijdeven, J., Bosgra, O.: Residual vibration suppression using Hankel iterative learning control. International Journal of Robust and Nonlinear Control 18(10), 1034−1051 (2008)Google Scholar
- Van de Wijdeven, J., Donkers, T., Bosgra, O.: Iterative learning control for uncertain systems: Robust monotonic convergence analysis. Submitted for publication (2009)Google Scholar