Future Challenges for Variational Analysis
Modern nonsmooth analysis is now roughly 35years old. In this chapter, I shall attempt to analyse (briefly): where the subject stands today, where it should be going, and what it will take to get there? In summary, the conclusion is that the first-order theory is rather impressive, as are many applications. The second-order theory is by comparison somewhat underdeveloped and wanting of further advance.
KeywordsBanach Space Nonexpansive Function Lipschitz Function Separable Hilbert Space Convex Case
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Alexandrov AD (1939) Almost everywhere existence of the second differential of a convex function and some properties of convex surfaces connected with it. Leningrad State University, Annals, Mathematical Series 6:3–35Google Scholar
- 4.Borwein JM (2005) The SIAM 100 digits challenge. Extended review in The Mathematical Intelligencer 27:40–48Google Scholar
- 8.Borwein JM and Lewis AS (2005) Convex Analysis and Nonlinear Optimization. Theory and Examples, 2nd Edn. Canadian Mathematical Society – Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 10.Borwein JM and Sciffer S (2010) An explicit non-expansive function whose subdifferential is the entire dual ball. Contemporary Mathematics 514:99–103Google Scholar
- 13.Borwein JM and Zhu Q (2005) Techniques of Variational Analysis. Canadian Mathematical Society – Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 18.Dutta J (2005) Generalized derivatives and nonsmooth optimization, a finite dimensional tour. With discussions and a rejoinder by the author. TOP 11:85–314Google Scholar
- 21.Jeyakumar V and Luc DT (2008) Nonsmooth Vector Functions and Continuous Optimization. Springer Optimization and Its Applications, vol.10. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 23.Macklem M (2009) Parallel Continuous Optimization. Doctoral Thesis, Dalhousie UniversityGoogle Scholar
- 24.Mordukhovich BS (2006) Variational Analysis & Generalized Differentiation I. Basic Theory. Springer Series Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences, vol.330. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 25.Mordukhovich BS (2006) Variational Analysis & Generalized Differentiation II. Applications. Springer Series Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences, vol.331. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar
- 27.Pshenichnii B (1971) Necessary Conditions for an Extremum. Marcel Dekker, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 28.Rockafellar RT and Wets RJ-B (1998) Variational Analysis. A Series of Comprehensive Studies in Mathematics, vol.317. Springer, BerlinGoogle Scholar