Chemistry Education in the ICT Age pp 235-247
Designing Effective E-Learning Environments - Should We Use Still Pictures, Animations or Interactivity?
There has been much research interest in the area of multimedia learning and using e-learning to assist student learning. A range of tools and teaching materials are used to develop students’ understanding in different domains. We have developed an online chemistry module with three different versions, designed to determine the most effective way for enhancing student learning and addressing misconceptions students may have. One version incorporates the use of still pictures, one version uses animations and simulations, and the final version uses animations and simulations together with interactivity. The present study investigated students’ perception of the modules and performance associated with using these different versions of the module. While students rated the animated and interactive versions of the module more highly than the one that had still pictures only, this did not translate to increased performance in associated tests.
Chemistry 1 Life Sciences B
Chemistry A (Pharmacy)
- 5.Kennedy, GE (2004) Promoting Cognition in Multimedia Interactivity Research. J of Interact Learn Res 15:43–61.Google Scholar
- 6.Scott, B (2001) Conversation Theory: A Constructivist Dialogical Approach to Educational Technology. Cybern Hum Knowing 8:1–25.Google Scholar
- 9.Norman, D (1988) The Psychology of Everyday Things. Basic Books, New York.Google Scholar
- 10.Read, J, George, AV, Masters, A et al (2004) Proceedings of the Scholarly Inquiry into Science Teaching and Learning Symposium. In: Merrett, D (ed.) Students’ Perceptions of Their Understanding in Chemistry 1 for Veterinary Science, pp. 45–51. UniServe Science, Sydney, NSW.Google Scholar
- 14.Rogers, Y and Scaife, M (1997) How Can Interactive Multimedia Facilitate Learning? In: Proceedings of the First International Workshop on Intelligence and Multimodalities in Multimedia, pp. 123–142. The Live Oak Press.Google Scholar