The bactericidal effect of silver nanoparticles obtained by a novel electrochemical method on Escherichia coli, Staphylococcus aureus, Aspergillus niger and Penicillium phoeniceum cultures has been studied. The tests conducted have demonstrated that synthesized silver nanoparticles — when added to water paints or cotton fabrics — show a pronounced antibacterial/antifungal effect. It was shown that smaller silver nanoparticles have a greater antibacterial/antifungal efficacy. The paper also provides a review of scientific literature with regard to recent developments in the field of toxicity of silver nanoparticles and its effect on environment and human health.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ACGIH (1991) Documentation of the Threshold Limit Values and Biological Exposure Indices, 6th edn, American Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists, Cincinnati, OH.Google Scholar
- 2.Allsopp, M., Walters, A., and Santillo, D. (2007) Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials in Electrical and Electronic goods: A Review of Uses and Health Concerns, Greenpeace Research Laboratories Technical Note 09/2007 (December 2007).Google Scholar
- 7.Estrin, Y., Khaydarov, R.R., Khaydarov, R.A, Gapurova, O., Cho, S., Scheper, T., and Endres, C. (2008) Antimicrobial and antibacterial effects of silver nanoparticles synthesized by novel electrochemical method. Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, ICONN 2008, Proceedings of 2008 International Conference on Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, 25–29 February 2008, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 44–47.Google Scholar
- 8.Grodzik, M., and Sawosz, E. (2006) The influence of silver nanoparticles on chicken embryo development and bursa of Fabricius morphology, J Anim Feed Sci 15(Suppl 1), 111–114.Google Scholar
- 10.Khaydarov, R.R., Khaydarov, R.A., Gapurova, O., Estrin, Y., and Scheper, T. (2008) Electrochemical method of synthesis of silver nanoparticles. J Nanopart Res. Doi:10.1007/ s11051-008-9513-x.Google Scholar
- 28.Smith, I.C., and Carson, B.L. (1977) Trace Metals in the Environment, Vol 2—Silver, Ann Arbor Science, Ann Arbor, MI.Google Scholar
- 29.Soete, D.D., Gijbels, R., and Hoste, J. (1972) Neutron Activation Analysis, Wiley Interscience, New York.Google Scholar