Hardware-dependent Software pp 47-66
UEFI: From Reset Vector to Operating System
In PCs, the firmware that sits at the reset vector is called a BIOS. The BIOS has increased in size, complexity, and extensions apace with the complexity and richness of PCs. The increases have finally reached the point that no amount of patching will fix the old architecture. The new architecture, known as the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) [UEFc,ZRH] and Platform Initialization (PI) [UEFb] keep the learning’s of the last years but impose a modern software engineering structure that supports the basic requirements of system initialization, configuration, and abstraction of boot devices, but which is also designed to be extensible enough to address the new features of hardware to come.
KeywordsBIOS Firmware UEFI EFI Boot ROM
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [ACPI]ACPI. Advanced Configuration and Power Interface. www.acpi.org
- [EDK]EDK. EFI Developer Kit. www.tianocore.org
- [PCI]PCI. Peripheral Component Interconnect. www.pcisig.org
- [SMBIOS]SMBIOS. System Management BIOS. www.smbios.org
- [SMBUS]SMBUS. System Management Bus. www.smbus.org
- [PhTe]Phoenix Technologies. BIOS Boot Specification. www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/56E38DE2-3E6F-4743-835F-B4A53726ABED/0/specsbbs101.pdf
- [UEFa]UEFI. UEFI Registry. www.uefi.org/specs/esp_registry
- [UEFb]UEFI. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Platform Initialization Specifications, Volumes 1–5, Version 1.1. November 5, 2007. www.uefi.org
- [UEFc]UEFI. Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Specification—Version 2.1. January 23, 2007. www.uefi.org
- [ZRH]V. Zimmer, M. Rothman, and R. Hale. Beyond BIOS: Implementing the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface Specification with Intel’s Framework. ISBN 0-9743649-0-8, Intel Press, September 2006. www.intel.com/intelpress/sum_efi.htm