Pesticides and Pest Control
About 3 billion tons of pesticides are applied each year in the world. However, despite this large amount of pesticide applied worldwide, pests, insects, weeds and plant pathogens destroy about 40° of all crops.
KeywordsInsects Pests Pesticides Plant pathogens Weeds
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arrington, L.G. 1956. World Survey of Pest Control Products. U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- Oerke, E.C., Dehne, H.W., Schonbeck, F. and Weber, A. 1994. Crop Production and Protection: Estimated Losses in Major Food and Cash Crops. Elsevier, Amsterdam.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D. (ed) 1991. Handbook of Pest Management in Agriculture, Vols. I–III. 2nd ed. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, pp. 765, 757, 749.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D. (ed) 1997. Techniques for Reducing Pesticide Use: Environmental and Economic Benefits. John Wiley and Sons, Chichester, 444pp.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., Schwardt, H.H. and Norton, L.B. 1951. New methods of house fly control in dairy barns. Soap and Sanitary Chemicals 27: 102–105, Chem. January 6pp.Google Scholar
- Pimentel, D., McLaughlin, L., Zepp, A., Lakitan, B., Kraus, T., Kleinman, P., Vancini, F., Roach, W.J., Graap, E., Keeton, W.S. and Selig, G. 1993. Environmental and economic effects of reducing pesticide use in agriculture. Agriculture, Ecosystems and Environment, 46(1–4):273–288.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- PRB. 2006. Population Reference Bureau. Washington, PRB, DC.Google Scholar
- Richter, E.D. 2002. Acute human poisonings. In: Pimentel, D. (ed), Encyclopedia of Pest Management. Dekker, New York, pp. 3–6.Google Scholar
- USBC. 1971. Statistical Abstracts of the United States. United States Bureau of the Census. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- USBC. 1994. Statistical Abstracts of the United States. United States Bureau of the Census. Washington, DC.Google Scholar
- WHO. 2007. Malnutrition Worldwide. World Health Organization of the United Nations. http://www.mikeschoice.com/reports/malnutrition_worldwide.htm. (8/20/07).