Dini’s Theorem in the Light of Reverse Mathematics
Dini’s theorem says that compactness of the domain, a metric space, ensures the uniform convergence of every simply convergent monotone sequence of uniformly continuous real-valued functions whose limit is uniformly continuous. By showing that it is equivalent to Brouwer’s fan theorem for detachable bars, we provide Dini’s theorem with a classification in the constructive reverse mathematics recently propagated by Ishihara. If the functions occurring in Dini’s theorem are pointwise continuous but integer-valued, then to still obtain such a classification we need to replace the fan theorem by the principle that every pointwise continuous integer-valued function on the Cantor space is uniformly continuous. As a complement, Dini’s theorem both for pointwise and uniformly continuous functions is proved to be equivalent to the analogue of the fan theorem, weak König’s lemma, in the classical setting of reverse mathematics started by Friedman and Simpson.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Bridges, D.S., Dini’s theorem: a constructive case study. In: C.S. Calude et al., eds., Combinatorics, Computability and Logic. 3rd International Conference DMTCS01, Constanţa, Romania, 2001. Proceedings. Springer, London, 69–80, 2001Google Scholar
- 7.Dummett, M., Elements of Intuitionism. 2nd ed., Oxford University Press, Oxford, 2000Google Scholar
- 8.Ishihara, H., Informal constructive reverse mathematics. Sūrikaisekikenkyūsho Kōkyūroku 1381, 108–117, 2004Google Scholar
- 11.Ishihara, H., Reverse mathematics in Bishop’s constructive mathematics. Philosophia Scientiae, cahier special 6 (2006), 43–59Google Scholar
- 14.Kohlenbach, U., The use of a logical principle of uniform boundedness in analysis. In: A. Cantini et al., eds., Logic and Foundations of Mathematics. Kluwer, Dordrecht, 93–106, 1999Google Scholar
- 18.Richman, F., Constructive mathematics without choice. In: P. Schuster et al., eds., Reuniting the Antipodes. Constructive and Nonstandard Views of the Continuum. Kluwer, Dordrecht, 199–205, 2001Google Scholar
- 20.Troelstra, A.S., and D. van Dalen, Constructivism in Mathematics. Two volumes. North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1988Google Scholar
- 21.Veldman, W., Brouwer’s fan theorem as an axiom and as a contrast to Kleene’s alternative. Preprint, Radboud University, Nijmegen, 2005Google Scholar