A Computer Aided Method for Cam Profile Design
A computer-aided numerical method for the design of a cam-follower mechanism and NC milling for a planar cam profile is presented. The method consists of an iteration method for the calculation of the follower motion properties (oscillation, velocity and acceleration, jerk) using the vector differences for three successive points on the cam profile. With the aid of a CAD program the results of the method are exported to the NC milling machine, thus facilitating the programming procedure and leading to a significant reduction of the NC code size. Numerical examples have been reported to compare differences of the proposed method versus the analytical design parameters of the cam-follower mechanism.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hartenberg R. and J. Denavit 1964 Kinematic Synthesis of Linkages, Mc Graw Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 2.Dimarogonas A.D. 2000 Machine Design, A CAD Approach, John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York.Google Scholar
- 4.Lanni C., Ceccarelli M. and J.C.M. Carvhalo, 1999 An analytical design for two circular-arc cams, in: Proceedings of the Fourth Iberoamerican Congress on Mechanical Engineering, Santiago de Chile, Vol. 2.Google Scholar
- 11.Lampinen J. 2003 Cam shape optimisation by genetic algorithm. Computer Aided Design.Google Scholar
- 12.Tuma J.J. 1987 Engineering Mathematics Handbook, Mc Graw-Hill, New York.Google Scholar
- 13.Shigley E.S. and J.J. Uicker 1981 Theory of Machines and Mechanisms, Mc Graw Hill, New York.Google Scholar