Tensegrity as a Structural Framework in Life Sciences and Bioengineering
In the fifth decade BC, Leucippus and Democritus had considered matter to be formed of indivisible particles, atoms, which were of all dimensions and forms. Pythagoreans presented the universe from the point of view of mathematics, asserting that everything is made up of numbers.
Plato believes, like Empedocles, that matter is a combination of the four fundamental elements: fire, air, water and earth. In his book Timaeus (c.360BC), he makes known a new theory, equating the tetrahedron with the element fire, the octahedron with air, the icosahedron with water, the cube with earth and the dodecahedron with the stuff of which the constellations and heavens were made .
KeywordsElastic Element Triangular Prism Regular Polyhedron Interosseous Membrane Tensegrity Structure
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Baker JE, Tarnai T (2004) On modelling an expandable virus. In: Huang T (ed) 11th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science, China Machine Press Tianjin 3, 1295–1299.Google Scholar
- 2.Burkhardt RW Jr (2008) A practical guide to tensegrity design, http://bobwb.Tripod.com.
- 3.Burkhardt B (2007) Tensegrity tetrahedron, http://members.tripod.com/bobwb/synergetics/photos/datasheets.html#tetra4spec.
- 4.UH RF, Kroto HW, Smalley RE Press Release: The 1996 Nobel Prize in chemistry, nobelprize.org/no belprizes/chemistry/laureates/1996/press.html.
- 6.Farr G (2002) The human cell, http://www.becomehealthynow.com/ebookrint.php?id=709.
- 7.Flemons TE (2006) The geometry of anatomy – the bones of tensegrity, http://www.intensiondesigns.com/itd-biotensegrity/biotensegrity/papers/geometry of anatomy.html.
- 8.Friedlander P (1958) Plato: An Introduction. Harper & Row, New York, http://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/timaeus.htm.
- 9.Fuller B (1961) Tensegrity. Portofolio and Art News Annual 4, 112, 127, 144, 148, http://www.rwgrayprojects.com/rbfnotes/fpapers/tensegrity/teneg01.html
- 10.Guest SM, Kovacs F, Tarnai T, Fowler PW (2004) Construction of a mechanical model for the expansion of a virus, http://www.2.2ng.cam.ac.uk/-sdg/pre print/virusmodel.pdf.
- 11.Hunter S (2005) Posting by Spencer Hunter, bit.listserv.geodesic, http://members.tripod.com/bobwb/synergetics/photos/spencer.html.
- 14.Ingber DE (1998) The architecture of the life, Scientific American Magazine 278, 48–57.Google Scholar
- 15.Ingber DE (1993) Cellular tensegrity: defining new rules of biological design that govern the cytoskeleton. Journal of Cell Science 104, 613–627.Google Scholar
- 16.Jauregui VG (2004) Tensegrity structures and their application to architecture. Thesis for M.Sc. in Arhitecture, School of Architecture, Queen's University, Belfast, http://www.alumnos.unican.es/uc1279/TensegrityStructures.html.
- 17.Jensen F, Pellegrino S (2005) Expandable “Bob” structures. Journal of the International Association for Shell and Spatial Structures 46(3), 151–159.Google Scholar
- 18.Judge A (1980) Vector equilibrium and its transformation pathways, http://laetusinpraesens.org.
- 19.Kovacs BF, Tarnai T, Guest SD, Fowler PW (2004) Double-link expandohedra: a mechanical model for expansion of a virus, http://biophysics.asu.edu/banffiles/guest/double.pdf.
- 20.Levin SM (2007) Hang in there! The statics and dynamics of pelvic mechanics. http://www.biotensegrity.com/.
- 21.Levin SM (2002) The tensegrity-truss as a model for spine mechanics: biotensegrity, http://www.biotensegrity.com/.
- 22.Levin SM (1997) Putting the shoulder to the wheel: a new biomechanical model for the shoulder girdle, http://www.biotensegrity.com/.
- 23.Levin SM (1995) The importance of soft tissues for structural support of the body, http://www.biotensegrity.com/.
- 24.Levin SM (1980) Continuous tension, discontinuous compression: a model for biomechanical support of the body, http://www.biotensegrity.com/.
- 26.Muddana HS (2006) Integrated biomechanical model of cells embedded in extracellular matrix. Thesis for Master of Science, Texas A&M University, http://research.cs.tamu.edu/bnl/papers/muddana.thesis06.pdf.
- 27.Paul C, Lipson H, Valero-Cuevas FJ (2005) Evolutionary form-finding of tensegrity structures. In: The 2005 Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Computation, http://ccsl.mae.cornell.edu/papers/GECCO05 Paul.pdf.
- 28.Paul C, Roberts J, Lipson H, Valero-Cuevas FJ (2005) Gait production in a tensegrity based robot. In: The 2005 International Conference on Advanced Robotics, http://ccsl.mae.cornell.edu/papers/ICAR05 Paul.pdf.
- 30.Plato (360 BC) Timaeus, http://www.ellopos.net.
- 31.Raducanu V, Motro R (2001) Patent 2 823 287, Stable self-balancing system for building component.Google Scholar
- 32.Snelson K (1948) http://www.kennethsnelson.
- 33.Tibert AG (2002) Deployable tensegrity structures for space applications. Ph.D. dissertation, Royal Institute of Technology, Stockholm, Sweden.Google Scholar
- 34.Tibert AG, Pellegrino S (2003) Deployable tensegrity masts, http://www.2.mech.kth.se/-gunnar/AIAA-2003-1978.pdf.
- 36.Wesley N (1999) The anatomy lesson, http://home.comcast.net.
- 37.Wohlhart K (2007) Cupola linkages. In: Merlet JP, Dahan M (eds) 12th World Congress in Mechanism and Machine Science I, 319–324.Google Scholar
- 38.Wohlhart K (2005) Double pyramidal linkages. In SYROM I, 293–300.Google Scholar
- 39.Wohlhart K (2001) New regular polyhedral linkages. In SYROM II, 365–370.Google Scholar