Part of the Geotechnical, Geological, and Earthquake Engineering book series (GGEE, volume 7)
Post-Tsunami Urban Damage Assessment in Thailand, Using Optical Satellite Imagery and the VIEWSTM Field Reconnaissance System
KeywordsTsunami Wave Damage State Damage Detection Damage Assessment Disaster Response
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Adams BJ (2004) Improved disaster management through post-earthquake building damage assessment using multitemporal satellite imagery, Proceedings of the ISPRS XXth Congress Volume XXXV, Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Adams BJ, Huyck CK (2006) The Emerging Role of Remote Sensing Technology in Emergency Management, In Taylor, C. and VanMarcke, E. (eds.) Infrastructure Risk Management Processes: Natural, Accidental, and Deliberate Hazards, ASCE, Reston.Google Scholar
- Adams BJ, Huyck CK, Eguchi RT, Yamazaki F, Estrada M (2003) Post-earthquake reconnaissance using satellite imagery: Boumerdes case study, In EERI (ed.) The Boumerdes, Algeria, Earthquake May 21, 2003, EERI: Oakland, Insert pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Adams BJ, Huyck CK, Mio M, Cho S, Ghosh S, Chung H, Eguchi RT, Houshmand B, Shinozuka M, Mansouri B (2004a) The Bam (Iran) Earthquake of December 26, 2003: Preliminary Reconnaissance Using Remotely Sensed Data and the VIEWS (Visualizing the Impacts of Earthquakes with Satellite Images) System, http://mceer.buffalo.edu/research/Bam/bam.pdf.
- Adams BJ, Womble JA, Mio MZ, Turner JB, Mehta KC, Ghosh S (2004b) Collection of satellite-referenced building damage information in the aftermath of hurricane Charley, MCEER Response, http://mceer.buffalo.edu/research/Reconnaissance/ Charley8-13-04/04-SP04.pdf. 2004b.
- Adams BJ, Mansouri B, Huyck CK (2005a) Streamlining Post-earthquake data collection and damage assessment in Bam, using VIEWS (Visualizing Impacts of Earthquake with Satellites), Earthquake Spectra Special Issue, 2003 Bam, Iran, Earthquake Reconnaissance report, EERI: Oakland.Google Scholar
- Adams BJ, Wabnitz C, Ghosh S, Alder J, Chuenpagdee R, Chang SE, Berke PR, Rees WE (2005b) Application of Landsat 5 & High-resolution Optical Satellite Imagery to Investigate Urban Tsunami Damage in Thailand as a Function of Pre-tsunami Environmental Degradation, Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Chiba, Japan.Google Scholar
- Chang SE, Adams BJ, Alder J, Berk PR, Chuenpagdee R, Ghosh S, Wabnitz C (2006) Coastal Ecosystems and Tsunami Protection, Earthquake Spectra Special Issue, 2005 Indian Ocean Tsunami Reconnaissance report, EERI: Oakland.Google Scholar
- Chiroiu L, Adams BJ, Saito K (2006) Advanced techniques in modelling, response and recovery, In Oliveira, C.S., Roca, A and Goula, X. (eds.) Assessing and Managing Earthquake Risk. Geo-scientific and Engineering Knowledge for Earthquake Risk Mitigation: developments, tools, techniques, Springer: London.Google Scholar
- Eguchi RT, Huyck CK, Adams BJ, Mansouri B, Houshmand B, Shinozuka M (2003) Resilient disaster response: Using remote sensing technologies for post-disaster damage detection, In MCEER (ed.) Research Progress and Accomplishments 2001–2003, MCEER: Buffalo, pp. 125–138.Google Scholar
- Estrada M, Kohiyama M, Matsuoka M, Yamazaki F (2001) Detection of damage due to the 2001 El Salvadore earthquake using Landsat images, Proceedings of the 22nd Asian Conference on Remote Sensing, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Ghosh S, Adams BJ, Huyck CK, Mio M, Eguchi RT, Yamazaki F, and Matsuoka M (2005) Post-tsunami urban damage survey in Thailand using the VIEWSTM reconnaissance system, MCEER Response, https://mceer.buffalo.edu/research/Reconnaissance/tsunami12-26-04/05-SP01.pdfGoogle Scholar
- Gusella L, Adams BJ, Bitelli G, Huyck CK, Mognol A (2005) Object oriented image understanding and post-earthquake damage assessment for Bam, Iran, Earthquake Spectra Special Issue, 2003 Bam, Iran, Earthquake Reconnaissance report, EERI: Oakland.Google Scholar
- Huyck CK, Adams BJ, Eguchi RT (2003) An overview of post-earthquake reconnaissance using remote sensing, Proceedings of the 1st International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Irvine.Google Scholar
- Huyck CK, Adams BJ, Cho S, Eguchi RT, Mansouri B, Houshmand B (2004a). Methodologies for Post-earthquake Building Damage Detection Using SAR and Optical Remote Sensing: Application to the August 17, 1999 Marmara, Turkey Earthquake, MCEER-04-0004 Technical Report, MCEER: Buffalo.Google Scholar
- Huyck CK, Adams BJ, Gusella L (2004b) Damage detection using neighbourhood edge dissimilarity in very high-resolution optical data, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Newport Beach, http://mceer-nt2.mceer.buffalo.edu/second_workshop/papers/05paper_huyck.pdf
- Matsuoka, M Yamazaki F (2000) Satellite remote sensing of damage areas due to the 1995 Kobe earthquake, In Toki, K. (ed.) Confronting Urban Earthquakes, Report of Fundamental Research on the Mitigation of Urban Disasters Caused by Near-field Earthquakes, 259–262.Google Scholar
- Maingi JK, Marsh S, Kepner WG, Edmonds CM (2002) An accuracy assessment of 1992 Landsat-MSS derived land cover for the Upper San Pedro Watershed, http://www.epa.gov/nerlesd1/land-sci/pdf/epa600r02040.pdf
- Ozisik D, Kerle N (2004) Post-earthquake damage assessment using satellite and airborne data in the case of the 1999 Kocaeli earthquake, Turkey, Proceedings of the XXth ISPRS Congress, Istanbul.Google Scholar
- Research Systems Inc (2003) ENVI User’s Guide, Research Systems Inc.Google Scholar
- Shirzaei M, Mansouri B, Shinozuka M (2006) Multi-resolution analysis of satellite optical images for damage detection using wavelet transform, Proceedings of the 4th International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Womble JA, Ghosh S, Friedland CJ, Adams BJ (2006) Hurricane Katrina – Advanced Damage Detection: Integrating Remote-Sensing Images with VIEWSTM Field Reconnaissance, Report of the Multidisciplinary Center for Earthquake Engineering Research, University at Buffalo, http://mceer.buffalo.edu/publications/Katrina/06SP02-web.pdf.
- Woo K, Rathje E, Crawford M (2005) Comparison of earthquake damage evaluation using change detection and thematic classification, Proceedings of the 3rd International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Chiba, Japan.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki F (2001) Applications of remote sensing and GIS for damage assessment, Proceedings of the Joint Workshop on Urban Safety Engineering, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki F, Kouchi K, Kohiyama M, Matsuoka M (2003a) Damage detection for the 2003 Algeria earthquake from Quickbird images, Proceedings of the 2003/2004 US Japan Conference, University of Southern California, Los Angeles.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki F, Kouchi K, Kohiyama M, Estrada M, Matsuoka M (2003b) Visual damage detection and GIS mapping of buildings from Quickbird images from the 2003 Boumerdes, Algeria earthquake, Proceedings, of the 1st International Workshop on Remote sensing for Disaster Response, Irvine, USA.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki F, Kouchi K, Matsuoka M, Kohiyama M, Muraoka N (2004a) Damage detection from high-resolution satellite images for the 2003 Boumerdes, Algeria earthquake, Proceedings of the 13th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Vancouver.Google Scholar
- Yamazaki F, Yano Y, Matsuoka M, Vu T (2004b) Building damage interpretation of the 2003 Bam, Iran earthquake, using Quickbird images, Proceedings of the 2nd International Workshop on Remote Sensing for Disaster Response, Newport Beach, USA.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2009