Radiation and Hydro-Chemical Investigation and Monitoring of Transboundary Rivers of Kazakhstan
The present paper discusses the general state of the aqueous resources of Kazakhstan and provides an overview of the factors influencing the state of the environment in the catchment areas of the four main transboundary rivers in Kazakhstan (the Ural, the Syrdariya, the Ile and the Irtysh rivers). In addition, it is proposed to put up a programme aiming to monitor the contamination of these river systems using nuclear analytical methods. In view of the activity arrangements, experience gained from the implementation of the international project “Navruz” is assumed to be used. The “Navruz” project was devoted to ecological survey and creation of the monitoring system for main rivers of the Central Asia – the Syrdariya River and the Amudariya River – over the lands of Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan.
Keywordsradionuclides metals monitoring transboundary rivers Kazakhstan
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Martino, L., Carisson, A., Rampolla, G., Kadyrzhanova, I., Svedberg, P., Denisov, N., Novikov, V., Rekacewicz, Ph., Simonett, O., Skaalvik, J.F., Pietro, D., Rizzolio D. and Palosaari, M. (2005) Environment and Security. Transformation Risks into Cooperation. UNEP, UNDP, OSCE, NATO. ISBN: 82-7701-035-4.Google Scholar
- 2.Yuldashev, B.S., Salikhbaev, U.S., Kist, A.A., Radyuk, R.I., Barber, D.S., Passell, H.D., Betsill, J.D., Matthews, R., Vdovina, E.D., Zhuk, L.I., Solodukhin, V.P., Poznyak, V.L., Vasiliev, I.A., Alekhina, V.M. and Djuraev, A.A. (2005) Radioecological monitoring of transboundary rivers of the Central Asian region. Radionuclide contamination in the Syr Darya river basin of Kazakhstan; Results of the Navruz Project. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 263(1): 219-228.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Kadyrzhanov, K.K., Barber, D.S., Solodukhin, V.P., Poznyak, V.L., Kazachevskiy, I.V., Knyazev, B.B., Lukashenko, S.N., Khazhekber, S., Betsill, J.D. and Passell, H.D. (2005) Radionuclide contamination in the Syr Darya river basin of Kazakhstan; Results of the Navruz Project. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 263(1): 197-205.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Solodukhin, V.P., Poznyak, V.L., Kazachevskyi, I.V., Knyazev, B.B., Lukashenko, S.N. and Khazhekber, S. (2004) Some peculiarities of the contamination with radionuclides and toxic elements of the Syrdarya river basin, Kazakhstan. Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry, 259(2): 245-250.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Passell, H.D., Barber, D.S., Kadyrzhanov, K.K., Solodukhin, V.P., Chernykh, E.E., Arutyunyan, R.V., Valyaev, A.N., Kadik, A.A., Stepanetts, O.V., Vernadsky, V.I., Alizade, A.A., Guliev, I.S., Mamedov, R.F., Nadareishvili, K.S., Chkhartishvili, A.G., Tsitskishvili, M.S., Chubaryan, E.V., Gevorgyan, R.G. and Puskyulyan, K.I. (2005) The international project of radiation and hydrochemical investigation and monitoring of general Caspian rivers. 5th International Conference “Nuclear and Radiation Physics”, Vol 1, Almaty, Kazakhstan, 2006, 69-76.Google Scholar