Basic Education for Sustainable Livelihoods: The Right Question?
Part of the Technical and Vocational Education and Training: Issues, Concerns and Prospects book series (TVET, volume 8)
KeywordsBasic Education Human Resource Development Livelihood Strategy Sustainable Livelihood Modern Sector
These keywords were added by machine and not by the authors. This process is experimental and the keywords may be updated as the learning algorithm improves.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bateson, M.C. (1994) Peripheral Visions: Learning along the Way. Harper Collins: New York.Google Scholar
- Beneria, L. (1985) Accounting for women’s work, in Beneria, L. (ed.) Women and Development: The Sexual Division of Labor in Rural Societies, pp. 127–29. Praeger: New York.Google Scholar
- Chambers, R. (1993) Rural Development: Putting the Last First. Longman Scientific and Technical: Harlow.Google Scholar
- Chambers, R. (1997) Whose Reality Counts? Putting the First Last. Intermediate Technology Publications: London.Google Scholar
- Daly, H.E. (1973) Toward a Steady-State Economy. W.H. Freeman: San Francisco, CA.Google Scholar
- Daly, H.E. (1997 ) Sustainable growth: an impossibility theorem. Development, 40, 123.Google Scholar
- Daly, H.E. and Cobb, J. (1989) For the Common Good. Beacon Press: Boston, MA.Google Scholar
- Dube, L. (1995) Zenzele (do it yourself): the ORAP way, in Taylor, C., Desai, A. Knutsson, K.-E., O’Dea-Knutsson, P. and Taylor-Ide, D. (eds) Partnerships for Social Development: A Casebook. The Independent Task Force on Community Action for Social Development, pp. 5–10. Future Generations: Franklin, WV.Google Scholar
- Eade, D. and Williams, S. (1995) The Oxfam Handbook of Development and Relief. Oxfam: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Funaro, R. (1997) Balancing out the development equation. Grassroots Development, 21(1): 48–50.Google Scholar
- Gardner, H. (1991) The Unschooled Mind. Basic Books: New York.Google Scholar
- Goulet, D. (1975) The Cruel Choice. Atheneum: New York.Google Scholar
- Gudeman, S. (1986) Economics as Culture: Models and Metaphors of Livelihood. Routledge and Kegan Paul: London.Google Scholar
- Halperin, R. and Dow, J. (eds) (1997) Peasant Livelihood: Studies in Economic Anthropology and Cultural Ecology. St Martin’s Press: New York.Google Scholar
- Hoogendijk, W. (1995) Preparing for the revolt. Development, 3.Google Scholar
- Kearns, J. and Sato, T (1989) New practices for development professionals. Development, 4.Google Scholar
- Korten, D. (1997) Which globalization? Development, 40.Google Scholar
- Lawrence, J.E.S. (1997) Adult education and jobs, or sustainable livelihoods? Paper presented at a UNESCO panel on Changes in the World of Work, Hamburg, 12 July 1997. http://www.cse.mrt.ac.lk/lecnotes/cs5171/texts/CONFINTE-PAP2000.pdf. Accessed 17 April 2007.
- Lawrence, J.E.S. and Singh, N. (1997) Sustainable livelihoods and employment. International Journal of Technical Cooperation, 3(1): 92–109.Google Scholar
- Miller, R. (1972) The meaning of development and its educational implications, in Perspectives on Development, pp. 5–10. Agricultural Development Council: New York.Google Scholar
- Opschoor, H. (1996) Sustainable growth and employment. Ecumenical Review, July 48.Google Scholar
- Ordonez, V., Kasaju, P.K. and Seshadri, C. (co-ordinators) (1998) Basic Education for Empowerment of the Poor: Report of a Regional Study on Literacy as a Tool for Empowerment of the Poor. UNESCO Asia and Pacific Programme of Education for All and UNDP: Bangkok.Google Scholar
- Polyani, K. (1977) The Livelihood of Man. Pearson, H.W. (ed.) Academic Press: New York.Google Scholar
- Postman, N. (1995) The End of Education. Random House: New York.Google Scholar
- Robertson, J. (1995) People and places: beyond the dependency culture. Development, 3.Google Scholar
- Rondinelli, R. (1976) Why development projects fail. Project Management Quarterly, 7, March, 10–15.Google Scholar
- Seabrook, J. (1993) Pioneers of Change: Experiments in Creating a Humane Society. Zed Books: London.Google Scholar
- Seabrook, J. (1995) Re-examining the lexicon of development, Resurgence, 61–62, September–October 13.Google Scholar
- Shaw-Gardner, K. (1996) The Oxfam Handbook of Development and Relief (book review). Grassroots Development, 20.Google Scholar
- Society for International Development (1995) Pre-conference workshop on Civil Society, Sustainable Livelihoods and Women in Development: Declarations from Global Human Security. Journal of the Society for International Development, 3(67): 64–8.Google Scholar
- UNESCO (1997a) Second E-9 ministerial review meeting, Islamabad, Pakistan, 14–16 September 1997. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0012/001246/124658e.pdf. Accessed 17 April 2007.
- UNESCO (1997b) Second E-9 ministerial review meeting, Islamabad, Pakistan, 14–16 September 1997. The Indian Experience. Country Paper. UNESCO.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2009