aiT: Worst-Case Execution Time Prediction by Static Program Analysis
Many tasks in safety-critical embedded systems have hard real-time characteristics. Failure to meet deadlines may result in the loss of life or in large damages. Utmost carefulness and state-of-the-art machinery have to be applied to make sure that all requirements are met. To do so lies in the responsibility of the system designer(s). Fortunately, the state of the art in deriving run-time guarantees for real-time systems has progressed so much that tools based on sound methods are commercially available and have proved their usability in industrial practice.
KeywordsBasic Block Pipeline Analysis Abstract Interpretation Execution Context Static Program Analysis
- Cousot, Patrick and Cousot, Radhia (1977). Abstract Interpretation: A Unified Lattice Model for Static Analysis of Programs by Construction or Approximation of Fixpoints. In Proceedings of the 4th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages, Los Angeles, California.Google Scholar
- Ferdinand, Christian (1997). Cache Behavior Prediction for Real-Time Systems. PhD thesis, Saarland University.Google Scholar
- Ferdinand, Christian, Heckmann, Reinhold, Langenbach, Marc, Martin, Florian, Schmidt, Michael, Theiling, Henrik, Thesing, Stephan, and Wilhelm, Reinhard (2001). Reliable and precise WCET determination for a real-life processor. In Proceedings of EMSOFT 2001, First Workshop on Embedded Software, volume 2211 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 469–485. Springer-Verlag.Google Scholar
- Schneider, Jern and Ferdinand, Christian (1999). Pipeline Behavior Prediction for Superscalar Processors by Abstract Interpretation. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Languages, Compilers and Tools for Embedded Systems, volume 34, pages 35–44.Google Scholar
- Theiling, Henrik and Ferdinand, Christian (1998). Combining abstract interpretation and ILP for microarchitecture modelling and program path analysis. In Proceedings of the 19th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium, pages 144–153, Madrid, Spain.Google Scholar