The Comparative Study Of The Overall Effect Of Crude Oil On Fish In Early Stages Of Development
The overall toxic impact of crude oil on fish was evaluated in acute and chronic tests by use of rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) (embryos, larvae and juveniles). Survival, physiological (heart rate, gill ventilation frequency) and haematological parameters of test objects were studied. Crude oil depending on concentration and exposure duration caused a significant increase in larval mortality, whereas embryos were less and juveniles were least sensitive to the impact of oil. Sublethal crude oil concentrations induced significant alterations in cardio-respiratory parameters of embryos and larvae, as well as in respiratory and haematological parameters of juvenile fish.
Keywordscrude oil toxicity fish embryos larvae juveniles
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Albers, P., 1995, Petroleum and individual polycyclic aromatic Hydrocarbons, in: Handbook of Ecotoxicology. Hoffman, D. J., Rattner B. A., Burton G. A. Jr., Cairns J. Jr. Eds. Boca Raton, Florida, pp. 330-755.Google Scholar
- Carls, M. G., Holland, L., Larsen, M., Lum, J. L., Mortensen, D. G., Wang, S. Y., Wertheimer, A. C., 1996, Growth, Feeding, and Survival of Pink Salmon Fry exposed to Food contaminated with crude Oil, Am. Fish. Soc. Symp. 18:608-618.Google Scholar
- Kazakov, R. V., 1998, Atlantic Salmon. Nauka, Sankt-Peterburg, pp. 575 (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Kazlauskiene, N., 2004, Classsification and possible Consequences of the sublethal Effects of heavy Metal model Mixture in Fish at early Ontogenesis, in: Macro and Trace Elements: Mengen- and Spurenelemente. 1. 22 Workshop. M. Anke, ed., Schubert-Verlag, Leipzig, pp. 1172-1177.Google Scholar
- Marty, G. C., Short, J. W., Dambach, D. M., Willits, N. H., Heintz, R. A., Rice, S. D., Stegeman, J. J., and Hinton, D. E., 1997, Ascites, Premature Emergence, increased Gonadal Cell Apoptosis, and Cytochrome P4501A Induction in Pink Salmon Larvae continuously exposed to Oil-contaminated Gravel during Development, Can. J. Zool. 75:989-1007.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Michailova, L. V., Kutdusova, N. A., Abdullina, G. X., Kozlov, A. B., 2001, Effect of oilpolluted sediments on embryonic development of Siberian sturgeon Acipenser Baeri Brandt. Abstracts of VIII Meeting of Hydrobiological Society of RAS, I, Kaliningrad, pp. 151-152 (In Russian).Google Scholar
- Rice, S. D., Babcock, M. M., Brodersen, C. C., Carls, M. G., Gharett, J. A., Korn, S., Moles, A., Short, J. Lethal and sublethal Effects of the water-soluble Fraction of Cook Inlet crude Oil on Pacific Herring ( Clupea harengus pallasi) Reproduction, US Dep. Commer. NOAA Tech. Memo. NMFS F/NWC-111. 1987.Google Scholar
- Svobodova, Z., and Vykusova, B., 1991, Diagnostics, Prevention and Therapy of Fish Diseases and Intoxications. eds., Research Institute of Fish Culture and Hydrobiology, Vodnany, pp. 270.Google Scholar