The Representation of Rigid Body Motions in the Conformal Model of Geometric Algebra
In geometric algebra, the conformal model provides a much more powerful framework to represent Euclidean motions than the customary “homogeneous coordinate” methods. It permits elementary universal operators that can act to displace not only points, but also lines and planes, and even circles and spheres. We briefly explain this model, focusing on its essential structure. We show its potential use for motion capture by presenting a closed form for the bivector logarithm of a rigid body motion, permitting interpolation of motions and combination of motion estimates.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Altafini, A.: The De Casteljau Algorithm on SE(3). In: Non-Linear Control in the Year 2000, Springer, pp. 23-34, 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.Doran, C. and A. Lasenby: Geometric Algebra for Physicists. Cambridge University Press, 2000.Google Scholar
- 3.Dorst, L., D. Fontijne and S. Mann: Geometric Algebra for Computer Science, An Object-Oriented Approach to Geometry. Morgan Kaufman, 2007. See also www.geometricalgebra.net.
- 4.Dorst, L.: The Inner Products of Geometric Algebra. In: Applications of Geo-metric Algebra in Computer Science and Engineering, L. Dorst, C. Doran, and J. Lasenby (Eds.), Birkhäuser, Boston, pp. 35-46, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Hestenes, D.: New Foundations for Classical Mechanics (2nd edn). Reidel, Dordrecht, 2000.Google Scholar
- 6.Hestenes, D., A. Rockwood and H. Li: System for encoding and manipulating models of objects. U.S. Patent 6,853,964, granted February 8, 2005.Google Scholar
- 7.Hestenes, D. and E. D. Fasse: Homogeneous Rigid Body Mechanics with Elas-tic Coupling. In: Applications of Geometric Algebra in Computer Science and Engineering, L. Dorst, C. Doran, and J. Lasenby (Eds.), Birkhäuser, Boston, pp. 197-212, 2002.Google Scholar
- 10.Riesz, M.: Clifford Numbers and Spinors. E. F. Bolinder and P. Lounesto (Eds.), Kluwer Academic, 1993.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhao, Y., R. J. Valkenburg, R. Klette and B. Rosenhahn: Target Calibration and Tracking using Conformal Geometric Algebra. In: IEEE Pacific-Rim Sympo-sium on Image and Video Technology (PSIVT), Chang L.-W., Lie W.-N. (Eds.), Springer, Berlin Heidelberg, LNCS 4319, pp. 74-83, Taiwan 2006.Google Scholar