Integrating Model-Based and Task-Based Approaches to User Interface Generation
Software Engineering community has been interested in defining methods and processes to develop software by specifying its data and behavior, but disregarding user interaction. Human-Computer Interaction community has defined techniques oriented to the modeling of the interaction between the user and the system, proposing user-oriented software constructions. In this paper, we show how to lay proper bridges between both visions, by integrating a CTT task model into a sound, model-based software development process. This proposal is underpinned by the MDA-based technology OlivaNova Method Execution, which makes software generation a reality, while still taking the user interaction needs into account
KeywordsCode Generation Functional Requirements Model-based user interface development environment Task-based design User Interface User Interaction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Care Technologies, accessible at http://www.care-t.com, June 2006.
- da Silva, P.P., User Interface Declarative Models and Development Environments: A Survey, in Proc. of 7th Int. Workshop on Design, Specification, and Verification of Interactive Systems DSV-IS’2000 (Limerick, 5–6 June 2001), Springer-Verlag Berlin, 2005, pp. 207–226.Google Scholar
- Hayes, P.J., Szekely, P., and Lerner, R., Design Alternatives for User Interface Management Systems Based on Experience with COUSIN, in Proc. of ACM Conf. on Human Aspects in Computing Systems CHI’85 (San Francisco, April 1985), ACM Press, New York, 1985, pp. 169–175.Google Scholar
- Limbourg, Q., and Vanderdonckt, J., Addressing the Mapping Problem in User Interface Design with UsiXML, in Ph. Palanque, P. Slavik, M. Winckler (eds.), Proc. of 3rd Int. Workshop on Task Models and Diagrams for user interface design TAMODIA’2004 (Prague, 15–16 November 2004), ACM Press, New York, 2004, pp. 155–163.Google Scholar
- Limbourg, Q., Vanderdonckt, J., Michotte, B., Bouillon, L., and Lopez, V., UsiXML: a Language Sup-porting Multi-Path Development of User Interfaces, in Proc. of 9th IFIP Working Conf. on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction EHCI-DSVIS’2004 (Hamburg, July 11–13, 2004), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3425, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005, pp. 200–220.Google Scholar
- Model-Driven Architecture (MDA), accessible at http://www.omg.org/mda, January 2006.
- Molina, P., User Interface Specification: From Requirements to Automatic Generation, Ph.D. thesis, DSIC, Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Valencia, March 2003.Google Scholar
- Montero, F., López-Jaquero, V., Vanderdonckt, J., Gonzalez, P., Lozano, M.D., and Limbourg, Q., Solving the Mapping Problem in User Interface Design by Seamless Integration in IdealXML, in S.W. Gilroy, M.D. Harrison (eds.), Proc. of 12th Int. Workshop on Design, Specification, and Verification of Interactive Systems DSV-IS’2005 (Newcastle upon Tyne, 13–15 July 2005), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3941, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005, pp. 161–172.Google Scholar
- Paternò, F., Mancini, C., and Meniconi, S., ConcurTaskTrees: A Diagrammatic Notation for Specifying Task Models, in Proc. of the IFIP TC13 Int. Conf. on Human-Computer Interaction INTERACT’97 (Sydney, 14–18 July 1997), Chapman & Hall, London, 1997, pp. 362–369.Google Scholar
- Szekely, P., Template-Based Mapping of Application Data to Interactive Displays, in Proc. of ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology UIST’90 (Snowbird, 3–5 October 1990), ACM Press, New York, 1990, pp. 1–9.Google Scholar
- Szekely, P., Sukaviriya, P., Castells, P., Muthukumarasamy, J., and Salcher, E., Declarative Interface Models for User Interface Construction Tools: the MASTERMIND Approach, in L.J. Bass, C. Unger (eds.), Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction, Proc. of the IFIP TC2/WG2.7 Working Conf. on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction EHCI’95 (Yellowstone Park, August 1995), Chapman & Hall, London, 1995, pp. 120–150.Google Scholar
- Vanderdonckt, J., A MDA-Compliant Environment for Developing User Interfaces of Information Systems, in O. Pastor, J. Falcão e Cunha (eds.), Proc. of 17th Conf. on Advanced Information Systems Engineering CAiSE’05 (Porto, 13–17 June 2005), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Vol. 3520, Springer-Verlag, Berlin, 2005, pp. 16–31.Google Scholar